View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010, 04:46 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
That's it--I did it! I just took the (airbrush) plunge! I bought this airbrush & compressor set (see: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...em=250719274959 ), which is available in quantity on eBay for $51.95.

I think a good (well-practiced) airbrush painter can get excellent results even from a cheap airbrush ("Technique over Technology"), because that was my father's experience. The one my father used in the 1960s and 1970s for hobby painting applications was from Sears, and he got excellent results with it. It was a very simple "blow-across" type with a fixed, built-in nozzle, and the whole unit could be screwed onto an ordinary 6 oz. or 8 oz. glass paint jar. For its high-pressure air supply, he used an ordinary single-cylinder Sears air compressor that was powerful enough to inflate tires and to power his large, professional-grade external-mixing paint sprayer that he used for painting houses and woodworking projects.

I agree with you Blackshire. Why not practice using an airbrush by using a cheaper set. The better you get then you can decide if you want to invest in a better quality airbrush. Sounds like you got a great deal on your purchase.