Thread: DECAP's
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2011, 02:14 AM
Forest Sprite

My thoughts:

1. Yes, of course.

2. Installing a DECAP sounds like a much simpler process than, say, assembling a reloadable motor. AeroTech and CTI seem to manage just fine by including detailed instruction sheets with their motors. I don't know how many reloadable motors and reloads are sold to naive customers who have no idea what they require and I suspect that most people who buy them have some notion of what they are all about. This does not mean that every customer uses them properly, but the rocketry community is swift to condemn anyone who squawks about a motor failure when it is evident that the person didn't follow the directions for its use. Black powder motors have a lower "education" threshold for potential consumers, but even novices have to read some instructions before they even know how to ignite them properly. I think that the imagined scenario of a totally naive customer buying black powder motors without having a clue about how to use them isn't actually that likely; most people would not be inclined to buy something that they have no idea how to use. So the vast majority of your potential customers would either know already what they were getting or would at least realize that they needed to read some instructions on what to do with the darned things. So, yes, I think that the average user would be able to follow the instructions in order to use the product properly, especially if the packaging and the motor label clearly indicates that a delay and ejection charge module must be added to the motor to make it capable of deploying a parachute or streamer.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011