View Single Post
Old 01-14-2012, 08:04 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Default Estes

When Estes had a display at the Chicago RCHTA/iHobby Show (Now the Cleveland iHobby Show) during the Barry Tunick years, the company pulled out all the stops. Usually a 20' x 20' walled booth with 20-30 staff and a rent-a-cop at the entrance to keep the 'undesireables' out (Like me ). This provided lots of coverage and gave the staff plenty of time to get out, look around, get something to eat, etc.

The LA RCHTA Show was completely different. It was a 5' x 10' space with a backdrop and table and chair at the aisleway. It had a staff of one.

That one staff member was a fellow named Bill Dillman.

Bill was the (Western) Regional Sales Manager for Estes until he retired a few years ago. He was/is a friendly and pleasant person. He didn't care much for the way Tunick ran things and was heard to say, "I don't care what Barry thinks".

As time went on, his comments became, "Don't let Barry know I said that" or "Don't let Barry find out I let you in the booth to take pictures".

Even with Bill having to watch his back, he still was a straight-upfront guy. If you asked him a question he would answer it. At the 1992 LA RCHTA Show, I asked Bill about the "Composite Engines Coming Soon" sign seen in the booth. It was the same sign seen at the Chicago RCHTA Show six months earlier. "Bob", Bill said, "They just sent me the sign and said to show it in the booth. I don't know anything else". I later learned he was being truthful, as the management in Penrose did not know at the time what they were going to do about making composite motors.

I don't know if all trade shows have this rule but at RCHTA Shows the booth contract stated that each booth must be staffed by a representative of the exhibiting company at all times during show hours. If a booth was discovered not to be staffed, that company would loose the right to exhibit at the next show. This was never a concern for AeroTech as we had between two to five staff at the Show at any given time. For Bill, he would ask one of the members of a local rocket club to watch his booth while he took a break.

This did not always happen for Bill.

It's the Saturday of the 1992 LA RCHTA Show. Weekends were the public days and there was a lot of foot traffic in the building. I was out of the AeroTech booth, walking around the exhibit hall checking out all the neat hobby stuff.

"Bob", I heard a voice call out.

I looked around and saw Bill motioning to me from his booth.

I walked over to the Estes booth.

ME: "Hi, Bill. What's up?"

BD: "Bob, can you watch my booth for a few miutes?"

Mind you, I'm wearing AeroTech logo clothing.

ME: "Uh, I don't know Bill. If Barry found out I was in your booth it might cause you trouble..."

BD: "Bob! I GOT TO GO!!!! "

ME: "Okay!"

Bill disappeared into the crowd.

All right then.

(To be continued)