View Single Post
Old 03-09-2021, 06:33 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterAlway
I guess it's semi-scale in the sense that a semi must have run over their scale data?

A fascinating vintage rocket kit for sure, and I'm sure it was fun to build and fly. I just have trouble calling it scale. I think maybe the term "scale-like" might apply.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Good one! I agree! Tag Powell of Space Age Industries (SAI) made that semi-scale determination for the SAI Nike-Deacon kit, not me. I do enjoy some of the SAI kits though for fun.

According to the NAR Sport Scale Rules:
53.1 Scope
Sport Scale Competition comprises three events open to any model rocket that closely resembles an existing or historical guided missile, rocket vehicle, or space vehicle, that has flown under rocket power. The purpose of this competition is to produce a flying replica of a real rocket vehicle that exhibits maximum craftsmanship in construction, finish, and flight performance. Sport Scale Competition differs from Scale Competition (Rule 50) in that the dimensions of the model are not directly measured.

So I guess that means we have flexibility to eyeball the model and determine if it is close enough to scale? I've not ever competed in a NAR event, so I am not exactly sure what qualifies as Sport Scale and what does not.

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
aka: Faithwalker
NAR #46879 SR