View Single Post
Old 04-05-2021, 09:05 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
Sounds good. I'm still not sure about how much canopy is needed. I have (2) Rocketchutes 30" nylon chutes for the model. The instructions call for (2) 36" parachutes, but 2035.75 inches of canopy seems like an awful lot of canopy. To me, anyway.

I would assume the body and nose recover separately? If not, I would make it so. Would not want those two large pieces clanging together on the way down.

As to canopy area, do the two pieces way weigh about equal parts? Or, thereabouts? If they are roughly the same weight, then basically a pound under each 30” canopy (or even 36” canopy) is not a bad distribution. One wouldn’t be flying in a gale force wind, so those parts are not going to drift too very far under chute(s) that size.

The Centuri and Estes Saturn V lower segments both recovered under twin 24” chutes, and while twin chutes loose a bit of their overall drag potential when blossomed side by side, the lower portion of those Saturn Vs only weighed maybe half a pound, and they would tend to recover fairly rapidly under those two 24” chutes.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970