View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012, 10:17 PM
BAR

While the glue is drying on the tower, cut the three LES rocket nozzles from the wrap sheet, pre-curl them around the tip of a ballpoint pen, and then with a tiny daub of white glue, glue them up and clamp them to dry with smooth-jawed hemostats...

Once dry, remove the hemostats and roll the nozzles over the tip of a ballpoint pen to round them out nicely and set them aside...

Next cut the capsule top/tower base ring from the wrap sheet and gently pre-curl it over a sharpie, apply a tiny dot of white glue to the end, and glue it up, clamp it and set it aside to dry. It's probably easiest to color the back with a pencil before gluing it up to darken the underside so it's not so visible when glued to the top of the capsule, but I did it after it was dry-- either way works with sufficient care...

Round over the end of the oxygen line to emulate the bend going into the rocket body... flatten the other end on sandpaper. I cut mine a bit to a closer scale length (4-3/8 inch roughly) and once I was satisfied with the rounded end, set it aside for later...

Next, we cut the vernier nozzle mounts... These are sorta 'diamond shaped' protrusions centered between the booster engine fairings on the "front" and "back" of the rocket, just above the corrugated booster section... I preferred to cut them out of basswood since it whittles more smoothly and is much less noticeable grain... cut two 'blanks' a half inch long by 3/8 inch wide, then trim them down to the tiny "Dracula's coffin" shape as shown, then gently whittle them down with the hobby knife to make the elongated diamond shape. Set them aside for later...

Later! OL JR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  052.JPG
Views: 36
Size:  229.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  053.JPG
Views: 36
Size:  199.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  054.JPG
Views: 37
Size:  197.4 KB  Click image for larger version