View Single Post
Old 12-11-2020, 10:19 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
I have collected this entire series and the only original I have built is the F-16. Also know, the Estes F-61 uses the same plastic parts as you can see from my build. The F-16 is a cool design, but I am not a fan of the cardboard parts. Also was not a fan of the red plastic nose cone. You can see the red still bled through even after coating with grey primer. I ended up striping the paint of the nose, priming with black followed by grey then gloss white to hid the red bleed.

sigs30,

Hello, I'm glad you chimed in.
You are one of many people I highly respect on this forum.
I love all your builds.
I hope someday I can reach your level of building awesomeness! (it that a word?)

F-61? A fat finger typo?

RR,
I will look for the redesign of my F-16.
Basically, use the patterns but shorten the BT tube length at the end of the foreword strakes and added the nose cone.
The inlet tube runs the length of the BT with about 3/4" cut off the length of the BT and the end scallop of the "look" of the fighter aft end.
Anotherwords, cut the BT down the center and measure about 3/4" over to one side of the tube. Cut this 3/4 out of the tube. The tube should look like the letter "C".
Glue it to the main BT to look like an air inlet.
The only other modification I did was I added the rudder base fins.
If you are so inclined, buy a Guillow F-16 balsa model kit and it will give some ideas on what to add to your rocket.
This also go's for the Guillows F-15 kit for the Centauri F-15.
Guillows did a lot research on these models.

BTW, I have been trying to convert the Guillows F-16 to a flying rocket model for several years. It's slow going.

Daniel