Thread: Nasa Sls
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2021, 08:31 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by frognbuff
Well said, tdracer. I spent 20 years in the Air Force, and I get more than a little sick of the complaints about "gubmint" (god, how I hate that stupid spelling) waste. The government isn't inherently wasteful but, like any large organization, tends to become a bit bloated over time. In the DoD, we had regular "Reductions in Force" (RIFs) that at least forced SOME fat-trimming. Commercial businesses do them to stay competitive. NASA has never had a RIF in recent memory, but they desperately need one. Unfortunately, that will likely never happen. NASA provides good jobs in low-paying areas (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama). So they struggle with their own bureaucracy, and (unlike silly things like defending our nation) Congress will never force the issue. I say hold a NASA RIF (say, 10%), but don't cut their budget. I think we'd find they accomplish much more "cool stuff," though sadly some folks will have to seek employment elsewhere.

It would be a slow process, but instead of cutting jobs, they could let folks retire without replacement, maybe use an early retirement package in certain areas, and restructure as they go. The money saved from RIF wouldn't be much compared to the budget unless huge cuts were made, but research and development should speed up with less bureaucratic hoops to jump through.