View Single Post
Old 01-04-2007, 10:01 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
On the other hand, one of the purported psychological barriers of entry in the hobby industry for small rocket kit manufacturers is the lack of a similarly branded line of motors.
That was one of the ideas kicking around in my head a while back, too. That said, given the retailers' propensity for dealing only with distributors and not directly with manufacturers, I doubt bundling motors with kits would get small kit vendors over that barrier. They would still need to play in distribution, and I'm sure the 800-pound gorilla can make things messy there.

But I still like the idea of pooling demand from the varied kit vendors to establish a critical mass of demand for new motors. I think the key is for the kit vendors to invent new designs which would use new, unique motors. For example, vendor X develops a kit which needs 1/2A boosters. Semroc private labels for the vendor who in turn promotes both the kit and the motor. The business is done over the web. Getting it onto store shelves would probably take painful amounts of effort

But the key is that the motor manufacturing risk is shared with other kit vendors.

Doug