View Single Post
Old 03-04-2021, 11:10 AM
rocket dinosaur

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tab28682
Thanks for posting the pics of G. Harry's rockets. I see you have the Athena in there, as well. I am almost done with a RC RG of the Athena from the Saturday Evening Post story "The Day the Rocket Crashed".

Big fan of the Spaceship Handbook. Used the Athena drawing in there to scale my RC RG version. It is BT-80 sized with Dynasoar Rocketry/Frank Burke style Depron flying surfaces. Done except for a custom 3D printed nose cone and the canopy fairing. Pic attached. Have a PNC-80 on there for now. If the custom printed cone takes too long, I will put a paper hat on it and go ahead and fly.

The rockets from G. Harry Stine's stories were fairly huge. The Athena as designed (as interpreted by Jon Rogers) was 136 feet long. The Fafnir was 303 feet long and the Absyrtis was 197 feet long. The BT-80 Athena works out to 1/46.15 scale.

Anyone know if the Antar design was featured in one of his stories? And, are there other G. Harry Stine fictional rocket designs floating around out there, besides the ones in the Spaceship Handbook and the Antar?

I don't know if the Antar was featured in any of his stories, but I'm trying to find out. In Earth Satellites and The race for Space Superiority on page 65 is a diagram for a rocket called the Griffon, on page 55 Aeolus and Nomad. There may be some rocket designs in RocketMen