Thread: Coaster Plans
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2009, 10:01 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

George,

I think this can't fly without the RC.....and with the RC it may be difficult.

I had to add weight to the tail to get even close to an acceptable glide. And, as you know, adding weight to the aft end of a rocket has a tendency to cause it to be unstable when you add the motor.

DaveR (Dave Richardson) and I had suspected that the clips came off under boost and thought they could be seen in slowed video of the launch. Could not confirm. I think what is seen in the slowed video is just a igniter cap or something...but not the clips. Still a mystery as to what happened to the clips.

As I've got it built, the model weighs in at just over 8 ounces without the motor mount and motor (glide weight). Currrently, replacing the nose cone so I can try another launch. Was planning a lower impulse F but if you think an E15 would be adequate, I can give it a try. Of course, if that works, then the design needs to be changed to accomodate a 24mm motor. That might help with stability but probably more eight will be needed for the glide. Or, the up elevator can be adjusted down......Hhhmmmmm......maybe I should lessen the elevator instead of adding weight? Ok....let me see if shimming the elevator so there isn't as much will help. Sounds logical. Going to have to give it a try.....

As for the plans......I scanned a set that was provided by Jack Komorowski......known here as Rocketflyer. They appeared to be an original set. I sent the plans back to him. I do have a full set or two plus full size scans. I'm not sure what size are posted here.