Thread: Coaster Plans
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2009, 09:13 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

>>>>>
“Tim Kendall of Phoenix, AZ builds Coaster-powered R/C R/G”
Not sure if this means he built the Dynasoar with RC or another scratch RC RG.
<<<<<

Well ,there is . . . .
#1 - Building an R/C model.
#2 - Flying an R/C model. And then . . . .
#3 - The R/C model flying successfully (not just gliding, but actually under control).

All I get out of the above is #1, the other two are left up in the air.

Kind of like all those massive number of “X-Prize” entries. Oh, they were almost all “building” something, but very few flew, and only one worked to meet the prize objectives. Or for that matter, look at how many people were building “flying machines” before December 17, 1903?

>>>>
I may be wrong, but I think Bernard Biales actually did the first public demo of RC BG followed by Doug Malewicki and his Snoopy RC BG.
<<<<

That may be true. Stine’s 1967 edition of the Handbook mentioned Biales as : “working on ultra-small RC boost gliders, but as of this writing I have not seen a radio-controlled boost glider fly successfully”. But the missing piece is the confirmation that Biales eventually did get his working before Malewicki did. I’m not saying he didn’t, I’m just trying to be sure, as, again see the above 1-2-3 criteria.

Hmmm, you mentioned Malewicki’s Snoopy R/C B/G. The Glider in his Model Rocketry Mag 3-part series is not named, IIRC. Certainly not the plan. I do know he did have a glider named Snoopy, but was that really what he first flew successfully with R/C? Maybe it was later named Snoopy due to the wing shaped and than a later one painted up to look like Snoopy dog ears?

I see a photo of Snoopy being launched out of a custom-built Dog House at NARAM-13, in the Oct 1971 issue. No mention of R/C.

OK, I found on page 26 (PDF page 26) of the November 1970 issue, NARAM-12 that he flew a Snoopy F/F in Swift (B) B/G, but used an un-named R/C B/G for spot landing.

>>>>>
http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showp...96&postcount=46
shows an ad with a RC antenna.
<<<<<

At first glance, that is what I thought too. But in looking at the plans, that is a music wire landing skid, used for the model whether F/F or R/C. It is not an antenna.

- George Gassaway