View Single Post
Old 03-11-2021, 05:40 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithwalker
So I guess that means we have flexibility to eyeball the model and determine if it is close enough to scale? I've not ever competed in a NAR event, so I am not exactly sure what qualifies as Sport Scale and what does not.

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
aka: Faithwalker
NAR #46879 SR

A model doesn't have to be particularly good to qualify for scale or sport scale competition. The rules specify that the model can't just be an upper stage, and they specify that you must somehow document the model (some sort of picture of the real thing for Sport Scale, and much more persnickity requirements for a photo and some real-world dimensions for scale), but there are no standards for accuracy for a contest. So, for instance, if you entered that kit as-is, along with a photo or outline drawing of the real Nike Deacon, you would qualify. And whether you would be likely to win depends on whatever other models are entered.

But that doesn't keep me from looking down my nose at what a manufacturer produces as a kit. I make an effort *not* to look down my nose at a modeler's efforts, though. I can admire a well-built version of that kit as a fine bit of model rocket history.

Peter