View Single Post
Old 12-27-2020, 06:23 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2cDave
Peter,

Are there any color images of the Aerobee 300 ?

The two scale paint patterns are based on B&W photos, plus color photos of the Aerobee-Hi in other contexts. The Aerobee Hi was painted either orange or white at first, but eventually changed to grey tanks and various silver, copper, and bronze details, as seen on the display at the National Air and Space Musuem.

The frustrating thing is that I have seen one color photo of a University of Michigan Aerobee 300 in flight on the wall of an office of a professor emeritus in 1990, who died in 2009. I didn't have a way to copy the framed photo, but I took notes on it. It had a Cajun-sized (2 1/4 or 6 1/2 inch diameter) payload. It was an in-flight photo without great resolution, but the sustainer had the basic pattern of the later Aerobee 150 (NASM-style) color pattern. I don't remember offhand what the upper stage and payload colors were, but I have them written down somewhere.

I was able to draw up the round, and expect to publish it eventually. For now, I will link to a report about a similar payload launched on a 4-finned Aerobee 150A. It gives a sense of what the nose looked like: https://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bits...e=5&isAllowed=y