Thread: Marketing
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2007, 09:48 AM
Ye Olde Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl@Semroc
Really not sure where to post this. Guess this is a good a place as any. To cut down on time we have decided to exclude headers (card at the top of each kit) to our on-line customers. We will have them on kits going to stores, but since most of our customers are on-line this will save time and money. Before I do too many kits without headers, I would like some feedback on your thoughts about this. Thanks for your time.

Sheryl

I know everything is a cost, but I think the header card adds a certain look of professionalism to the kit. Also, for those of us who live in the boonies, the internet is our hobby shop and we would still like to get the "real deal." I don't know if it's practical to offer two "styles" of the kit to internet customers, one that could be accessed via a "bare bones" link and another that offers the same kit as you put into the hobby store. Personally, I'd rather pay more than lose the header.

As a move to "push" more customers to buy from the hobby stores, providing only a bare bones kit on the internet would probably push some folks to buy there. Even I could wait until my next trip "into town." I would probably end up buying less though - that whole impulse thing. That's also assuming I could find a hobby store that carries all of your kits. "Hot" kits are also often difficult for me to acquire from the hobby shop. Folks who live nearby snap them up before I can make it into town. Another reason some may buy from the internet is to get the low production number. If the desire is more to push customers to buy from the hobby stores, eliminating the production number from the kit would be the principal driving force to make that happen. Again, sales are probably going to drop as a result of that - the impulse buying affects again, plus that whole status thing of having a low production number.

Assuming brick and mortar sales really take off, it may be a moot point. The production costs of running two different options will probably not make sense at that time.
James