Thread: Design goals
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2007, 07:48 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Maybe I'm a little jaded , but I don't think it's meant as the "replacement" rocket so much as it is meant to be the second (or even third)rocket. I don't believe Estes is pushing their customer base in the "model" direction at all, but simply toward more RTF product. In fact, most of the "new" Estes products I've seen lately, even those meant for LHS's, have been RTF foamies. I have not seen an Alpha or a Big Bertha on a peg wall for some time; and when I hear of Hobby Lobby putting Outlanders on sale as "discontinued" or "closeouts", I think Estes may actually be encouraging the demise of kits altogether. Fits in with what my "Deep Throated Nozzle" contact at the the local shop told me earlier about companies "falling down" on the follow-up items. Estes may not be the only ones that have fallen down that hole, but they're certainly not making any visible effort to climb back up, either...

Been there, done that... Way too often; coulda floated a missile cruiser from the spittle...

I'll start a new thread on "Items Needed in a Deluxe Starter Set", so we can focus on this discussion. Maybe we can develop some of the printed literature there ourselves...

Estes now has a moderated forum. According to the forum moderator, they are supposedly climbing out of that hole within the the next year or two. We'll see. I think they finally realized how many old and potential customers they have alienated by not offering more product and discontinuing many of the builder's classics. The odd rocs are a sore spot for me too. Too many, IMO. I think those are the very reasons why Semroc(among others) has done so well, not to mention the great service and pricing. If Estes wants to continue in the toy business, that's fine too. Just opens the door for someone else, namely Carl!