Thread: Design goals
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2007, 10:34 PM
Ye Olde Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brohm
My (insert manufacturer of choice) 18 mm motor will fit in the body tube of (other manufacturer of choice), and I can finish my rocket with nose cone XYZ (from yet another manufacturer of choice). While it may have its peculiarities (e.g.: why should a BT-60 be 40.5 mm in ID, as opposed to some other, rounded, size?), it nevertheless works, and keeps our building costs low, which we all appreciate.

Semroc's strategy should avoid exclusive or proprietary technologies or parts except in those occasional cases when they're absolutely necessary (high performance propellant formulations might be an example); instead it should make the hobby as accessible as possible by engaging as many segments of the market as possible (for some it's kits, for others it's parts, motors, etc, etc), and by making the cost entry points as low as possible. Working with the so-called "standard" is central to this, and by being a price competitive supplier of a full product line, Semroc will be able to do this, and will quickly backfill much of the market share vacated by other suppliers. Part of the secret in accomplishing this is to manage capital investment (knowing the market and the customer base is important to this). Estes and Semroc have two different views of the market, and have two different strategies as a result. I think we're very fortunate that this is the case.

Yep! There is some benefit to having the Quest and Estes plastic, too. Some of those plastic fin cans make great high performance rockets with relatively small diameter tubes and big motors. With them going their direction and Semroc going his direction, we are all benefitting. While BMS did a good job of filling in for Estes, Centuri fans were in dire straits until Carl came along, though. Speaking of which, I love the concept of the Classic link on Carl's site - find a kit you like and build it by selecting the parts and putting them in your cart! Too cool!!
James