View Single Post
Old 10-05-2019, 06:10 PM
frustrated aero

I decided to put the launch lugs on stand-offs so the wrap would not get "rod rash". Somebody pointed out a neat trick that placing two round bodies on a flat surface ensured they were aligned with each other. I used some 1/8" dowel for the stand-off and 3/16" lugs. After gluing and fillets, I was wondering the best way to glue the wood dowel to the plastic wrap. I used a piece of scrap wrap trimming and tested an old method I saw in some Centuri instructions of applying wood glue to the wood (or paper) and plastic glue to the plastic, letting the two glues bond to each other. I also saw in the video instructions that come with the Apogee Apollo capsule the recommendation to use thick CA glue to bond wood or paper to plastic. I tried this with the scrap plastic also. The Titebond/Testor's does bond, but it stayed semi-flexible. The thick CA bonded very well, plus the thick gel is gap-filling. So I used that. I decided to place the lugs on the side with the long tunnel so when it sits on the launch pad, it will look like the pictures I've seen of the real Little Joe II on the pad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  P9121760MR.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  441.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  P9121762MR.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  453.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  P9131767MR.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  310.1 KB  
Get yer Barrowmans here