View Single Post
Old 08-26-2010, 01:12 PM
I do not like Facebook

My first scale kit was the semi-scale Saturn V from Estes. If only they would reissue that one too...

I would have to recommend the Dr Zooch Saturn V for the first timer. Depending on your skill level, you can build it simple or detailed. Then fly it without too much fear of losing or wrecking it; they will make more, as the commercial says. And the price is right.

The Zooch Saturn 1Bs are not bad except for the tanks as GH mentioned. I learned a little trick with mine. The black tanks went well, the few creases I ended up with are not so noticeable due to the printed detail.

But the white ones looked absolutely terrible. Luckily they looked bad before I glued them, so I just wound them tighter than needed, then covered them with a "skin" of printer paper. An alternative is to cut new ones "against the grain" of the cardstock (like one of the white ones and all of the black ones) as those seem to roll better without creasing.

I have the Saturn Press kit, but because it is a bit bigger, I am wanting to do something more about the corrugated wraps than just painting the roll patterns. Either get good enough to make printed wraps ala the semi-scale Estes kit or make my own embossed ones.

Bill