View Single Post
Old 03-06-2021, 09:26 AM
Doug Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
Doug Ball and George Pantalos were a year behind me. I left Ohio State for the Air Force, while they got their Aero degrees. Doug worked on the F-16 at (then) General Dynamics here in Fort Worth. He later had a long career with Boeing in Reston, WA. IIRC, his last years were spent on advance aircraft. He and Connie Stine renewed their acquaintance and married. They retired to the Phoenix area. George applied fluid dynamics and received a doctorate in physiology, specializing in artificial hearts fluid flow, first at Utah and then at Louisville. I would occasionally see George as he drove experiments from UL down to Ellington Field for zero gee flights. He actually texted me last week that he was driving through North Texas headed to Spaceport America in NM for more zero gee flights. Lately he and his students had been working on a glove box for performing surgery in zero gee. I had to decline meeting due to the pandemic. I saw Doug and Connie at the NARCON in Houston a few years ago. I don't believe either of them are still involved in rocketry, although I still am. Doug and Bob Hagedorn were the Ball-Hagedorn Team back in the late '60s and early '70s.

Chas

Chas has it basically correct. Connie and I use rocketry at her summer camp for girls in upstate New York. But that is it for rocketry for us. Yes, the commute is long and expensive! Ellie does not fly rockets anymore (and hasn't for a long time). She is a nationally recognized equestrian rider and judge. Sadly, Bob Hagedorn passed way in December of 2014.