View Single Post
Old 02-09-2021, 06:38 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Below are a couple of page scans from the 1980 Centuri catalog. Specifically, page 15 and the Thunder series of rockets that had been introduced by Centuri in the Fall of the previous year 1979 (I seem to recall ads for these newly introduced kits on the back of the NAR 'Model Rocketeer' in the late summer and/or early Fall of 1979).

I suspect Bill's photo here was probably made in the late Summer of '79, in advance of the ad placements in latter '79 and the 1980 catalog release in the early Spring of 1980 (I recall getting this catalog in the mail in the late Spring of 1980, not long before I graduated from high school).

Not sure of Bill's birth year, but he does not look to be much more than about 20 in this photo, possibly maybe 19. In one of the inserts that was in the catalog mailer his name is listed on one page as Bill Stine, Mail Order Programs.

I would assume that this job at Centuri was probably his first rocket company experience, though I am not certain of that. I know Quest did not come around until the late 80s or so, nor how that matches up with the Enertek effort? Centuri went out of business in '83, so not sure what he may have done in the intervening years.

At any rate, he looks like a 'kid' in this photo...but didn't we all in 1980?!!

Earl

He was born in 1960. He said he was 18 when he started working for Centuri, and that only lasted two or three years before Centuri was packed up and sent to Penrose.