View Single Post
Old 01-26-2021, 02:57 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
It was well known for years that Estes was part of Damon.
What was not well known back then that Centuri was also part of Damon after ~1969.
When the news came out in the early 80's that was the case and that ~82 Centuri started using Estes parts in their kits, the handwriting was on the wall that Centuri was doomed.

What I would like to see for a Cruise Missile is a larger version of the Centuri/Estes Boeing ALCM. Say BT-80 sizeish.

If I remember an early 1971 article out of Model Rocketry Magazine, it was stated that apparently Lee Piester and the Damon folks talked some at NARAM in Houston in the summer of 1970. Then, like in February, 1971, the deal was finalized and the news went around the main hobby trade show that year (I think the article in MRM was about that trade show specifically).

But, yeah, Damon buying out Centuri then was just not as well 'advertized' in general. Centuri did not add "A Damon Company" under their logo like Estes did for example (why, I do not know).

Yes, I do recall getting my 1982 Centuri catalog in the mail that year and it was about half as thick as previous catalogs. And...all the Centuri specific parts (tubes, nose cones, etc.) were gone and were replaced with Estes parts. Like you say, I too knew then that this was not a good sign. The 1983 catalog was a better looking catalog and there were even some new products in it. But, that was to be the last, sadly.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970