View Single Post
Old 04-19-2020, 12:24 AM
Sometimes collector

I got the two Skywinders out to check on what needed to be repaired. I knew that Estes made improvements for durability after the initial release and looking at both models those changes were clear, specially since the slide on the original version sheared off. The changes I see are:

1) The slide/exhaust vent plastic is around 2.5 times thicker in the second release. I don’t think it would ever burn through and shear off like the first version did. On my original version, one of the retaining ‘fingers’ cracked and I reinforced it with styrene, but the whole thing sheared off after 46 flights.
2) A paper retaining ring was added to keep the three ‘fingers’ that retain the slide on the tube from separating. This happened to me, causing the nosecone to seperate, and I added a retaining ring even before the kit revisions were made.
3) A paper insulator was added above the motor. The ejection charge would melt and crack the plastic tube/rotor part since it was not protected. This happened to me on the first version and I glued the part back together with JB weld and added an insulator.
4) the plastic tube/rotar part was given four strengthening ribs. This was to prevent the cracking seen in conjunction to number 3.

I can’t think of any Estes kit so extensively modified in a second release to improve it.