View Single Post
Old 09-24-2020, 06:18 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
I went looking through my SEMROC kits to see if I had a Lil Ivan, but instead found an email from Sheryl in the box I keep the SEMROC kits in that jogged my memory: I was reading Tom Beach's review in Sport Rocketry of the SEMROC Mars Lander right after it came out and my wife looked over my shoulder and asked "What's that?" So, I explained the history of the kit and that it had just been re-released, blah blah, and she said "Well, shouldn't you have one of those?" and before she could change her mind, I said "Well, now that you mention it, yes, I should" and she said "Shouldn't you have 2, since you collect those kind of things?" and I choked and said "You're probably right, I should, and I should probably order them right now before you come to your senses, I mean before they sell out." So I placed the order and added a couple of things and chose the 'Lil' Ivan' (see, this is still on topic) as my free kit. The next morning I had an email from Sheryl telling me that Carl was sending me a 'SLS Hustler' kit instead of Ivan to thank me for posting the Hustler plans on YORF and taking measurements of my original kit, etc. That's the kind of guy Carl was, and that's why I don't have a SEMROC Lil' Ivan, and that's why I'm certainly not complaining.
Great story SEL. SLS Hustler is one of my favorites of the old SLS line. I should have bought two. All I have left of my original Semroc SLS Hustler is the payload section. Totally wrecked the bottom part on an F motor flight with no ejection nothing was salvageable except the payload section and the chute. Mine wasn’t the production kit it was the parts kits Carl sold for a while.

Yes, Carl was truly generous with me as well. I think most would agree to similar great experiences.
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates