View Single Post
Old 09-23-2020, 07:46 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
[…]

Sure do miss Carl. Looking back over many of his instruction sets here recently as we began working on preserving all his kit work, it is amazing to see the sheer volume of stuff he, Sheryl, and Bruce turned out. Glad we can collectively work together to preserve it.

Earl

Carl was a really decent man. I met the whole family at the Semroc booth at NARAM-52 in 2010. I had not signed up to attend, but on Saturday I called a friend and we drove down to meet the vendors on Sunday. We met Carl, Sheryl, and Bruce. I ended up spending a good deal of time in the booth, and loved spending time talking rockets with Carl. I bought maybe 4-5 kits, and now wish I would have bought more. Sheryl and Bruce were probably busy dealing with other customers as Carl and I chatted. I certainly overstayed my welcome but I never had that feeling at the time.

Funny intro at the booth. I had never even seen a picture of Carl. I walked up and introduced myself to a man who looked like who I assumed was Carl. “Hi, Carl, I’m Lee, great to meet you!” The man shook my hand and said “Hi Lee, great to meet you to. But I’m not Carl, I’m Bill Simon!”. I laughed, a bit embarrassed, paused a second, and said “Bill Simon? Of Estes? I haven’t seen you since I was 13!” He looked surprised, and I told him he was our tour guide in 1966 when I visited Estes Industries with several of my friends. What a great meeting by chance. He asked me if I wanted a signed Sky Hook kit, which I of course enthusiastically accepted. The NARAM giveaway was a Semroc Sky Hook, Bill Simon Edition. I still have it, and of course it’s still sealed.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp