View Single Post
Old 07-12-2020, 04:53 PM
Cardstock Designer

Default Now Time to Change Gears A Little

This step will speed construction while fins are drying. They are stacked on top of each other, with 18lbs of lead tire weights on top while the glue dries on them...

I use the tire weights for weight and balancing of my cardstock rubber band powered airplanes. Have several models designed that use some serious rubber band to fly.

One model, a Lockheed P-38 Lightning has over 20ft of 1/4" super tan rubber inside with 12" props powering a 5ft wingspan. It flat gets with it on take-off! Don't let the prop spin, when winding, it hurts and will cut just like an .049 cox engine will. These are recent designs. Nobody else has cardstock paper airplanes with rubber band power.

Problem is supply of Super Tan in 1/4". FAI is out until the end of this month. Once purchased, I will be selling kits on eBay.

Back to the next step: Gluing all of the cones to get ready for combination gluing to make the Nose Cone. Each piece will be glued while the fins dry. After gluing the fins into place on the shell, the cones will be ready for the combined gluing as they will be dry as well.

Technique photo, cones pre-rolled for gluing, gluing cone using the "gluing Tube" method on the PVC pipe. Final photo has a few parts and pieces ready for final steps.

Adding photo of weights stacked up on fins-didn't realize it was available. Far left of photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Rolling - Gluing Cones.JPG
Views: 25
Size:  40.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  PICT0837.JPG
Views: 30
Size:  326.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  PICT0859.JPG
Views: 28
Size:  201.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  PICT0868.JPG