View Single Post
Old 07-12-2020, 04:04 PM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

Default Fins

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer
This post is how I glue the Rocket Body shell and inner support tube:

Once again using my Instruction Sheet detail drawing to show my method. By using the double sided tape as rings around the PVC pipe or wood dowel (Square dowel works best because you can draw a center line to line edge of cardstock too, ensuring a straight glue job, not twisted.

The double sided tape rings need to wrap all the way around or you will pull them up when removing the tube after gluing. once I have the initial connection glued, I pop the shell off of the double tape and then immediately use a smooth piece of PVC tubing to finalize the gluing by pressing extremely hard on the glue seam.

Doing it this way allows for easier removal from the tape.

When removing from the tape you will need to roll the cardstock tube back and forth with a lifting action to pop it loose without tearing the cardstock, yes, I 've had them de-laminate if left on the tape for too long...

In the last photo, the shell has been removed from a length of 3/8" square wood dowel with the tape rings. It is now photo'd after applying the extreme pressure to seal the connection. Used a chair arm and my hobby desk. The hobby desk was made for me by my son when he was about 10-years old from a kit. He is 37-now. He stained it and actually put the legs on backwards.

Once he gave it to me, we fixed a couple of things, but what a present! Almost tempte to change the legs back to the original way he made it. A little un-balanced; still works though.

I totally understand your technique here. It’s great. I’m old school. When I’m able, I enjoy sanding. So, I simply cut out skins from old yellow Manila filing paper stock. Then I use carpenter’s wood glue and brush it heavily onto the fins. Add card stock. Done, except sanding the edges round. I don’t do true scale anymore, for health reasons,,, , I mean the accurate air foils. The fins are super strong, too. I have the spray,, I just enjoy my old way....