View Single Post
Old 08-01-2020, 07:45 PM
The Alpha Kid

Default Tintin Moon Rocket

I'm having issues with the white paint on the Aero Dart so I moved on to the next unfinished project.

This is the moon rocket from the Tintin adventures of the 1950's. It's made from a Semroc V-2 X-Kit.
Two ounces of lead in the nose attain balance and the fin pods are made from balsa Alpha cones.
Concerned about pod breakage, I included their profile in the fin pattern then cut the cones lengthwise and attached one half to each side.
It was built, painted, and flown years ago. Somehow I never managed to add the checkerboard pattern.
Today I did the math and cut the squares from white vinyl. Installation was tedious as I had to attach each square individually.
If there was ever any doubt, I can tell you with certainty that my eyesight is now officially 'not what it used to be'.

While largely unknown in the U.S. except for the recent Speilberg movie, these comics are hugely popular everywhere else in the world.
A Tintin museum opened in Brussels in 2009 and I was fortunate to find myself there later that year.
Original artwork for the moon mission story is on display and I saw a model of this rocket in the lobby that stood 12 feet tall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  tintin_web.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  1.48 MB