View Single Post
Old 11-06-2011, 12:25 AM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGLand
This would not modify any motor. It would be used just like a second stage motor but would involve absolutely no changes to any first stage motors.

Nooooooo........... That would seem to require me to pack pyrogens into a motor case, which IIRC would be a violation of the NAR safety code....and would be completely counter to the whole point of having a motor manufacturer do this. Obtaining loose BP for the ejection charge, even for a single 'proof of concept' test, would also require me to go get all the paperwork and storage lockers. Last but not least, I do not happen to have a handy supply of unused 13mm motor cases, or the secret Estes receipe for delay charge either.

I think if a manufacturer thinks this is worth looking into, they would be far better equipped to run a test or two.
Use an AeroTech RMS delay module and a prepackaged AeroTech EFC ejection charge. You would just need to find the right-sized container to hold them. One that wouldn't catch fire during the test. Do a ground test first. You aren't modifying a motor, you aren't attempting to make a motor, and in a ground test, you aren't launching anything.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011