View Single Post
Old 12-04-2019, 12:22 PM
7/21/61

Christian Christmas music played through the night and Jonathan passed away peacefully in his sleep on the morning of December 4, 2018, with Joelyn at his side as he had requested.
Joelyn commented “I had never been with someone on their deathbed, but I learned a lot about Jonathan as well as myself throughout the experience and I would not trade it away.” When the nurses asked Joelyn what her relationship was to Jonathan, she simply said, “He was my brother.” Craig imparted these thoughts, “You don’t need stuff. You need to have people who love you around when you die.” Jonathan had just that.
Unexpectedly, Geoffrey had passed away at the NARAM Nationals on August 7th of 2018, so one can only surmise that the Odd Couple have now been reunited, at altitude. The father of model rocketry, G. Harry Stine had a mantra of “Pay It Forward” and the men and women of which you just read embody that sentiment.
A memorial was held for Jonathan Dunbar on February 2nd, 2019 at the Arizona Cup rocket meet in Tucson, Arizona. One of Jonathan’s rockets flown at the event in his honor.
Rest in Peace Jonathan.
September 18, 1966 – December 4, 2019
Faithful friends are a sturdy shelter:
whoever finds one has found a treasure.
Faithful friends are beyond price;
no amount can balance their worth.
Faithful friends are life-saving medicine;
and those who fear the Lord will find them.
Sirach 6:14-17
Matt was able to locate and speak to Jonathan’s parents as well as his sister. Sadly, this did not occur until after Jonathan had passed. Jonathan’s urn was presented to his parents in California. Jonathan’s sister asked simply, “Was he happy?” Matt responded with a contented smile, “Yes.”