View Single Post
Old 12-08-2018, 07:23 PM
Craftsman

Thanks! I used this foil sticker sheet:

http://www.erockets.biz/bare-metal-...et-chrome-foil/

This is really intended for covering plastic model kits, cars & airplanes, etc., for metallic/chrome trim details, not easy to do a model rocket body tube wrap. It will show plastic model details like panel lines and rivets, so any bumps or spirals in the model rocket will show through this thin foil. Kind of exaggerated on that scrap paper towel roll, of course.

I also have some of the dryer duct Aluminum peel-stick tape that I have used for chrome bands, that stuff is a little heavier thickness and does not crease as much when you peel off the backing. (those metallic details on the Excalibur 2 downscale booster in post #11 are the dryer duct tape.)

Was kind of hard to find Trim Monokote, I placed a mail order for some sheets. I was thinking of applying the metallic trim on the rocket first, then putting the decals on that, but it seems to be easier to apply the waterslide decals to the metallic sheet first, them cut to final shape and peel and stick after the decals are fully dried. I like how the metallic sheen shines through the decals, looks like a good reproduction, although I don't have an original to compare against. Crazy enough, it just might work.

After the decals, I have to install an elastic cord to the Kevlar leader and the nose cone, and a chute on a snap swivel to get this completed and ready to fly.

Ugh! and a launch lug, of course.