View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 10:49 AM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

We're not done yet!

Details, details, details!

The original cone had a half round "bump" around the front about 3/16" (in this scale) from the edge.

Plastruct make a nice 0.040" (I think) half round.

Use a a compass set at 3/16 (or whatever looks good) to draw a light pencil line even from the edge. (pic #1)

Now wrap the half round around the cone and cut it a little longer than you need.

Use some solvent cement and tack it at the top. Wait a few minutes for that to dry then wrap the half round onto the cone even with the pencil line. Use the solvent cement sparingly or you'll make a mess. The solvent cement is pretty forgiving so you have plenty of time to adjust the half round so it's on the line.

Trimm the ends at the bottom nice and flush. You can even use some of the plastic shavings and make some "filler" if you need to.

Now one of the drawbacks of the solvent cement is it softens the plastic remains that way for quite a while.

Wait a few days to be sure the solvent is completly evaporated and sand the "melted" parts smooth.

If you don't wait for it to completely dry it gums up the sand paper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DSCF1790.JPG
Views: 170
Size:  436.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSCF1791.JPG
Views: 187
Size:  441.4 KB  

http://sandmandecals.com/