View Single Post
Old 02-24-2022, 06:34 AM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK
So I listed a few possibilities for builds during my heart surgery recovery:

- Cloning the old shorty Midget & Beta
- ASP WAC-Corporal 2 stager
- Open bag SkyDart kit from about 1972 (Damon era yellow face card)
- Semroc SLS Arcas
- Semroc Jupiter B
- Super Mars Snooper

Then I remembered a beat-up vintage Scamp I picked up recently, so started with that. Package was sealed, but it may have been re-sealed, since it was missing the parachute shroud lines. The die-crushed fins took a lot of sanding to look halfway decent; the partially crushed BT rounded out after inserting the engine mount; the rubber shock cord was shot, so substituted some elastic. I didn't want to cut the header card, so dug through my stash and found a vintage shock cord mount "SCM-50", pre-dating the "Printed In China" version, so used that. The tape discs were, of course, no good, so used some mylar tape instead.

I was surprised that the decal is a peel-and-stick - hopefully there's still some "stick" left. It's printed black on white, which is a bummer, since I wanted to paint the model yellow & black as shown in the 1977 catalog.

I really like the scamp and am surprised a kit from the 70’s has stick on decals. Good chioce for a build, and nice picture of the 40 year old shock cord!