View Single Post
Old 08-12-2020, 05:34 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Will be cool to see what's in there!

Yeah, I am really trying to seek out these vintage catalogs, but they are really, really rare surprisingly. Slowly, I am pulling together info to help me better date the production time frame for knife sets, parts, and pieces that come up for sale.

I’d really like to find more catalogs from the very early 70s to better date products from around the time of the 1971 Centuri catalog. What I have basically discovered over the course of the last three months or so (starting out as a TOTAL noob Xacto collector) is that the knife set images Centuri used in their catalogs (and the images were Xacto supplied images) were really representative of the way the #82 and #86 knife sets looked probably in the 1950s through maybe the latter 60s, what with the black metal blade holders under the lid, the balsa stripper with the black Bakelite knobs, etc. The info I have collected so far seems to indicate strongly that, by 1971, the blade holders under the lid were clear vinyl strips (no black metal), the balsa stripper had metal knobs. And those changes had occurred, I *think* even by that 69-70 Xacto catalog.

But, I really need to try to find a 1971 catalog and maybe a 1972 catalog to more definitely nail that down. In a couple of Xacto instruction manuals and carving guides that I have been able to obtain do seem to reflect theses changes in the early 70s in some of the knife sets shown in those publications.

Like a number of things in vintage rocketry, it’s a detective job to nail down some of these details. But the challenge makes it fun...most of the time!

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970