Old 04-18-2012, 07:38 PM
Bona-Fide Space Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
Did you mean the X-24A?

Agreed. I forgot the X-24B fell slower than a brick

Quote:
For an Alpha Draco scale model, the glide trim ballast could be placed in one of the four conical fairings, and the gliding second stage could be built so that the upper stage's motor (or motor mount, which could use streamer recovery) would eject itself to lighten the glider.

This will require more study

Quote:
I remember that 'un...like Vincent Burnelli's flying wings, the Facetmobile is very crash-resistant. Its stall speed is also quite impressive--just 33 miles per hour! With its large exposed area, it would lend itself to solar cell-charged Li-Po electric battery power, which some full-scale motorgliders are already using (without the solar charging).

I was thinking the exact same thing - (great minds, etc...) the FMX-4 would be a great candidate for an electric plane (see also Sonex's Electric plane - very kewl)

Quote:
Yes--a BT-5 "stuffer tube" could help direct the burning propellant particles from the first stage motor up into the second stage motor's nozzle.

'Twould be a hoot! The stuffer tube would be required or the X-24 would just be blown off the booster. It would make for a very "Observer Friendly" flight.
But first I gotta get these little guys sussed out. I know the term "peak performance" is pretty relative in this instance, but I'm curious to see how much hang time I can get from a cone.