View Single Post
Old 07-01-2020, 03:22 PM
Sometimes collector

They had a lot of interesting features for the time, I built a Standard Arm, Ironman and Flare Patriot when they came out, I also got the Controller which has a separate circuit for the FX “motors”, and can use batteries but had a nice connector for a 7.2 v nicad. I also got the pad. The pad came with a plastic rail, but the base will also accept a rod. The launch lugs on the kits are C shaped in cross section and could use the rail or a rod. The tubing is robust and on most of the kits is 1.75” od, so the rockets can’t easily be repaired. Most kits come with three interchangeable motor mounts, an 18mm mount with fx mounts, an 18mm mount, and a 24mm mount. The 1.75” kits had molded plastic fins. The bad of this revolves around the motor mount/fin attachment. The motor mount host is a plastic ring with small projections that the single plastic centering ring mount slots through and is locked with a twist. Ejection charge particles rain down on the plastic centering ring and can deform it over time. The fins have a tiny tab that slots into a tiny slot in the host ring, so the rest of the fin joint is plastic to paper. These are nice biggish rockets that look great, but I have had the mount fuse in one and have had numerous fins lost on normal landings. The Ironman is larger, and has balsa fins, so it doesn’t have the fin problem of the others but does have the interchangeable mounts. There is a lot of history here about the company if you search.

LS-102 2x2 MRC
LS-103 Flare Patriot MRC
LS-100 Ironman MRC
LS-103 Flare Patriot MRC
LS-101 Standard Arm MRC
LS-140 Thermal Hawk Glider MRC
LS-104 Trailblazer MRC

I used the smoke motors back then and they were fun. As reported by others, not a ton of smoke and you had to do it on a calm day. I had a C Cato in the standard Arm, damaging it but it still can fly. An FSI D20 blew the Flare Patriot to pieces, I had a line on a replacement tube here but didn’t follow up. The Ironman is still Ok but retired.