View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 09:10 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by timorley
I got it at a Michaels craft store. It came in 12x12 sheets and was about a $1 I think. Not all the Michaels I've been to have it. It was labeled Corduroy. When I re-post the build thread I have a picture of the paper and the label on it. I originally was looking at corrugated styrene, even bought several different sizes, but finally settled on this because it was light, easy to work with and looked just fine given I didn't care about scale. For the engine fairings I experimented with dimensional fabric paint on sticker paper, that came out pretty good too.

I got bought the same exact stuff from Michaels a year or more ago, located with all the scrapbooking paper. Receipt was still in the bag. 79 cents for a 12 X 12 sheet of "Corduroy". I also bought a couple sheets of "Corrugated" from Michaels made by the same company.... "The Paper Company". That's the sheet you see layer under the Corduroy in the photo. The "Corrugated" has deeper, wider, evenly spaced, grooves. It would be perfect for an Orion or large Saturn. It was 99 cent per 12 X 12 inch.

There is yet another corrugated cardstock I found a couple years ago at AC Moore(which is like a Michaels). They were having big sale on scrapbook paper, 75 percent off. They ended up being 15 cents for a 12 X 12 inch! I bought several sheets. That stuff has a very tight, and fairly shallow corrugation. It's too small to be used on something like a BT80 Saturn but would probably look great on a BT60 Saturn. This is identical to the stuff Dr. Zooch uses for the ET on his shuttle kit. He was using corrugated mylar, but switched over to this stuff once I showed it to him.

It's out there, but I'm sure the available stock varies from store to store. The SKU numbers should help track it down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Corduroy-cardstock.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  97.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Corrugated-SKU.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  75.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  AC-Moore-corrugated-cardstock.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  83.7 KB