Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Vintage Estes Cougar and other builds (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=22242)

scigs30 04-15-2024 01:44 PM

Vintage Estes Cougar and other builds

10 Attachment(s)
Since all my rockets are still packed, I am building new rockets so I can launch in my back yard. I will unpack my rockets once my hobby room is complete. I bought 2 lacquer sanding sealers for some wood working and decided to try them on my rockets. I first used scrap wood and the Minwax Lacquer sanding sealer performed much better than the Deft. I was brushing in 72 degrees and low humidity but the Deft took forever to dry. Minwax is sandable in under 1 hour. Neither compare to Aerogloss sealer but Minwax is a thinner version of old Brodak sanding sealer and is Nitrocellulose based. Minwax takes 4 coats to seal and fill the grain. I think Deft is more of an oil based sealer. Any way, the Cougar is build out of the bag in 1 day but had to wait a week for painting. During that time I build the Alpha and another Tazz. I am going to try and launch these rockets tonight once the wind dies down.

scigs30 04-15-2024 01:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry, forgot the sealers.

John Brohm 04-15-2024 06:56 PM

Nice clean builds with super finishes. Well done!

A Fish Named Wallyum 04-16-2024 05:09 AM

Nice work! I never paid attention to the Cougar before, but just in passing I would have thought it was on par with the Maverick, Mighty Moe and Eclipse from a size standpoint. In other words, BT-20 based. Definitely a B6-4 Field candidate. :cool:

ghrocketman 04-16-2024 08:48 AM

Looking great.
I enjoy building vintage kits as well.
Some have unfortunately gotten too valuable to build and I build the clone kits instead

Earl 04-16-2024 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Nice work! I never paid attention to the Cougar before, but just in passing I would have thought it was on par with the Maverick, Mighty Moe and Eclipse from a size standpoint. In other words, BT-20 based. Definitely a B6-4 Field candidate. :cool:

Actually, the Cougar is BT-50 size. I only know that because I bought it for my oldest nephew way back in the day for us to build together when he was like 7 (it was the kit in an Estes starter set I got for him). He is now 40!

Earl

A Fish Named Wallyum 04-16-2024 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Actually, the Cougar is BT-50 size. I only know that because I bought it for my oldest nephew way back in the day for us to build together when he was like 7 (it was the kit in an Estes starter set I got for him). He is now 40!

Earl

:confused: I know. I said I would have thought it was a BT-20. My eyes aren't THAT bad.

Earl 04-16-2024 03:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
:confused: I know. I said I would have thought it was a BT-20. My eyes aren't THAT bad.

Ahhh, ok. Got ya. My first-pass impression was a statement of BT-20 size, not just the impression thereof.

And to add a bit more twist to it, the Cougar package face card actually gives a diameter of 9.76 INCHES! :confused: :confused: :eek: :) ;)

Earl

ghrocketman 04-16-2024 03:18 PM

I'd like to see a 9.76" diameter one of those.
Now THAT is what I call FUN size !

A Fish Named Wallyum 04-16-2024 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Ahhh, ok. Got ya. My first-pass impression was a statement of BT-20 size, not just the impression thereof.

And to add a bit more twist to it, the Cougar package face card actually gives a diameter of 9.76 INCHES! :confused: :confused: :eek: :) ;)

Earl

Wow, millimeters are a lot bigger than I thought.