Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Current Kit Talk (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   2021 Estes Startech Starters (Igniters) - available soon (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=19502)

turbofireball 04-26-2021 11:38 AM

2021 Estes Startech Starters (Igniters) - available soon

1 Attachment(s)
According to my local hobby shop, the new Estes Startech Starters...better igniters...will be available in late May or early June. Stock # is 2303. MSRP will be $5.99.

ghrocketman 04-26-2021 02:33 PM

Any pics of actual igniters ?
Going back to REAL Solar Igniters with pyrogen would be fine with me.

BEC 04-26-2021 04:54 PM

If the production ones are like the betas, they look the same except the tip has a grey-colored coating.

I have a video showing one of the current and the betas in parallel being fired at the same time, as well as one comparing to an older Solar igniter. But the files are far too big to post here.

Have posted the latter video (in slow motion and in real time) to a similar thread on the other forum.

BRS Hobbies 04-26-2021 06:42 PM

Will these igniters replace the current Estes starters and eventually come in the engine packs? Also, are they any good for clusters?

Chas Russell 04-26-2021 06:49 PM

In what I have gleaned, Yes and Yes.
I received a multi-pack of them and could not make any launches, but gave some to friends and they were pleased with them.

BEC 04-26-2021 07:10 PM

Bill Stine said both at the NARCON manufacturer's forum and at the virtual Estes tour that they would be phased in as a "running change", so I would expect them to be in motor packs/boxes starting motors packed in the near future.

rocket.aero 04-26-2021 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRS Hobbies
Will these igniters replace the current Estes starters and eventually come in the engine packs? Also, are they any good for clusters?

A pack of the beta igniters made it into my glue-stained hands, so I decided to put them through the acid test of clustering using my trusty old Semroc Saturn 1B. All four motors ignited successfully, although I admit that the igniters were prepared and installed obsessively, with continuity checks taking place before and after installation. I also inspected each motor before launch with a magnifier to make sure that no errant bits of clay were blocking the nozzles.

The new igniters are an improvement, but they are not Q2G2s.

James

BEC 04-26-2021 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket.aero
The new igniters are an improvement, but they are not Q2G2s.

James

I concur with that thought completely.

ghrocketman 04-27-2021 01:06 AM

I would like to see those Quest Q2G2 igniters back as well.
I'd take the old coated nichrome Astron Igniters or Centuri Sure Shots over the current Estes "starters".