Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   SAM - Semroc Astronautic Modeler Team (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Sam3 (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=10959)

cjp 04-04-2012 05:40 PM

Sam3

Just finished a SAM3 rocket kit.This was a fun build and came out real nice. Will post a picture tommorrow after the paint has had a chance to dry.Has anyone else built this neat rocket? :)

cjp 04-06-2012 11:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I put a coat of Future on the SAM,you can't really tell but the paint glows.Love that Dupli-Color Inferno Red.

pantherjon 04-07-2012 06:22 AM

Looks nice!:) I have mine still in the bag:chuckle: One of these days!:rolleyes:

cjp 04-07-2012 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherjon
Looks nice!:) I have mine still in the bag:chuckle: One of these days!:rolleyes:

Thanks,The red paint is alot darker than shows in the picture.Almost like a candy apple red with flakes.

Kimble29 04-09-2012 12:38 PM

Looks killer!

I finished building mine a month or so ago. I have not finished painting it yet. I posted a pic of it in the What'd in your build que thread. I'll be honest.... this kit gave me FITS. I had to order new balsa and then I had to order the entire engine mount and body tube because it wouldn't go together correctly with the glue on it. I needed to sand some things and I didn't and then it was a done deal and the glue was bonded and I was screwed. Luckily, Semroc has all their parts available so I was able to get the new stuff I needed then complete the build. But it was just one of those kits that gave me fits all the way through.

cjp 04-09-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimble29
Looks killer!

I finished building mine a month or so ago. I have not finished painting it yet. I posted a pic of it in the What'd in your build que thread. I'll be honest.... this kit gave me FITS. I had to order new balsa and then I had to order the entire engine mount and body tube because it wouldn't go together correctly with the glue on it. I needed to sand some things and I didn't and then it was a done deal and the glue was bonded and I was screwed. Luckily, Semroc has all their parts available so I was able to get the new stuff I needed then complete the build. But it was just one of those kits that gave me fits all the way through.

I found the small balsa parts a little hard to cut out,but I was careful.The only thing was when I glued all the fin sets ,they are not perfectly lined up.So it may spin but that's alright.I'm only going to fly it on a B6-4 and then retire it.A nice kit.If you can,when done painting I would like to see a picture.Bet it will come out great.cjp ;)

Feyd 04-09-2012 05:04 PM

Has anyone flown this kit yet? I built mine but when I masked it for painting I didn't do a very good job and I'm
embarassed about the paint job. I may end up repainting it a solid color with maybe a different color on main fins.

FastCargo 04-28-2012 02:10 AM

Built mine as a conversion to 13mm power. Flies good on 1/2A3-2Ts and A10-3Ts. Only issue is the large 'booster stage' fins are a bit thin...shock cord cut a deep notch into one of them just recently. I may buy another and use smaller 'booster stage' fins with thicker stock. It'll get the proportions closer to the real thing, since I like flying it on 13mm engines.

FC

Right Wing Wacko 04-28-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd
Has anyone flown this kit yet? I built mine but when I masked it for painting I didn't do a very good job and I'm embarassed about the paint job. I may end up repainting it a solid color with maybe a different color on main fins.

I had the same problem with mine. Looks ok from a distance, but you can see the rough mask lines. I the rocket white, and the NC and Fins light blue.

johnnwwa 04-29-2012 03:27 PM

Did I see the SAM 3 in Pasco last weekend?