Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Estes Astron Drifter (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=11253)

A Fish Named Wallyum 06-13-2012 09:42 PM

Estes Astron Drifter

Another project in my seemingly neverending quest to use up all of the cones and tubes I've picked up over the years. The cone for this one came in an Ebay lot last summer. I've been putting the parts together for the past couple of nights and at this rate, should have a flyable model by my next flight window at B6-4 Field on Sunday. Pics are at home, but I should have something to post tomorrow. Anyone ever put one of these together?

Tau Zero 06-13-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Another project in my seemingly neverending quest to use up all of the cones and tubes I've picked up over the years. The cone for this one came in an Ebay lot last summer. I've been putting the parts together for the past couple of nights and at this rate, should have a flyable model by my next flight window at B6-4 Field on Sunday. Pics are at home, but I should have something to post tomorrow. Anyone ever put one of these together?
No, but I got a couple of the "kit special" that BMS released several years ago. The fin stock was 1/16", IIRC, and I imagine the reason the model "drifts" is because it's so stinkin' light. :eek:

So they're still unassembled in a BMS box in my basement. :o

A Fish Named Wallyum 06-13-2012 11:03 PM

Oh, yeah. I missed that month. I think that was the one I remembered to order about a week after the deadline had passed. :o That was a cool idea. I wish it was still going on. I still have a couple of the Astron Invader kits, and the Mini Bomarc is on the build table.

CPMcGraw 06-13-2012 11:09 PM

Quote:
...Anyone ever put one of these together?

Great flyer, similar to its cousin, the Centuri Starfire. I built mine several years ago, and haven't lost it yet... :o

...'Course, I never fly it on more than "B" power at BARCLONE Field... :p

With enough room, it'll scream.

mojo1986 06-14-2012 05:47 AM

Agreed. They really zip off the pad. If flying with a 'B' on a small field, consider putting a spill hole in your 12" 'chute (nothing larger) and avoid flying in breezy conditions. I built two and lost both on their maiden flights. They don't call them 'Drifters' for nothing!

Joe

RWmarlow 06-14-2012 06:49 AM

i had one of those.....on B4-4 with the larger of the two chutes installed....it got a thermal and was last seen through binoculars

foamy 06-14-2012 07:38 AM

Bought one from BMS, but haven't started building it yet. I love the looks of that model. I think I'll want some decals as I plan on painting it stock colors.

tbzep 06-14-2012 08:03 AM

Quote:
Anyone ever put one of these together?

I thought about it....but the thought drifted away.

ghrocketman 06-14-2012 09:36 AM

The Drifter flies almost as high as the Astron Sprint due to the thin fins and boat-tail. If it used the elliptical fins it would go as high as the Sprint on the same power.
You will be very surprised how high it goes on an A8-5.
For flight use upper stage engines-it needs the extra coast time.
1/2A6-4, A8-5, B4-6, B6-6, B8-7, B14-6, B14-7, C6-7.

A Fish Named Wallyum 06-14-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I thought about it....but the thought drifted away.

:rolleyes: :(