Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Very Large Alpha (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=19598)

MarkB. 06-01-2021 07:50 PM

Very Large Alpha

3 Attachment(s)
Comrades:

I thought I'd share a quick project with you: my Very Large Alpha. After buying a Mega Red Max and buying the parts for the new Big Red Max, I got to thinking what else could be easily upsized using genuine Estes parts on-line. So the body tubes are Pro Series 3" as is the coupler. Estes doesn't sell it in long enough lengths to do the Alpha without a coupler so I chose to put the coupler at the bottom and sand the ply rings to fit inside. The 3:1 nose cone is the Big Daddy cone. Fins are hand-cut 1/8 birch ply with 1/16 balsa skins on either side. The skins don't go through the wall, but the fins are glued to the 29mm motor tube. Rings are from JBassham on eBay.

The upscale is 3.074. There's some more clean-up and final fitting before I glue it all together, but I think you can see where it's headed.

First picture shows the whole thing mocked up next to my old Alpha.

Second picture shows the through-the-wall fins into the coupler with the locking ring.

Last picture shows the cap ring in place that will have triangle stock to further lock in the fins. The idea is to build it up to this point including the motor tube and then carefully add the long upper tube last.

This isn't a rush project, but I'll share more pictures as we go along.

LeeR 06-01-2021 08:30 PM

Looks great! Nice job on the fins!

I converted the Estes Panavia kit to a big Sky Hook. I went with my own basswood fins, hand cut.

I have a number of 3” tubes and Big Daddy nose cones. I think my next “classic upscale” might be the Astron Drifter.

Chas Russell 06-01-2021 09:46 PM

Really intriguing project, Mark. Have you seen James Duffy's youtube video on skinning fin frames with 1/64th plywood? Great video and would probably add some strength to those fins.
Looking forward to your build.

Chas

rocket.aero 06-01-2021 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB.
I thought I'd share a quick project with you: my Very Large Alpha. After buying a Mega Red Max and buying the parts for the new Big Red Max, I got to thinking what else could be easily upsized using genuine Estes parts on-line.

Very, very cool. I contend again that this forum needs a "like" button.

The new DBRM is indeed a wonderful starting point for a wide variety of intriguing projects. There's an upscaled Citation Patriot approaching completion that shares the basic DNA from that kit.

James

Ez2cDave 06-02-2021 03:36 PM

Mark,

Will you be using ESTES BP motors or going APCP ?

Dave F.

tbzep 06-02-2021 10:01 PM

Who else was thinking about this?

ghrocketman 06-03-2021 08:58 AM

I think we need both a "Like" button AND a "DISLIKE" button for posts here on YORF.
Without a DISLIKE button, I don't want a "Like" button. Need to have both or NONE.

tbzep 06-03-2021 01:46 PM

For us to get a like button, we would have to start paying $$$$$$$. New vBulletin or other forum software costs a chunk to have without annoying advertisements. I like the older simple format. I also like free stuff. ;)

MarkB. 06-03-2021 07:31 PM

Well, to answer Chas, I did think about 1/64 ply but it has gotten insanely expensive. I need to find a new supplier.

To answer Dave, initially BP but I'm open to APCP.

To answer Zep, I was. When I was there, the antenne were scattered all over the plain.

Finally, while I'm in agreement with the "Like" button, I agree more with free stuff. So if the choice is "Like" or free, I choose free.

More pictures soon.

And Lee, with additional tubing, both my DBRM (to be built with my nephew) and MDRM will be converted to the Long version, making them DLRM and MDLRM respectively

Ltvscout 06-03-2021 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket.aero
Very, very cool. I contend again that this forum needs a "like" button.

Unfortunately, this old circa 2005 software I'm using does not support that feature.

Ez2cDave 06-03-2021 10:42 PM

Quote:
Well, to answer Chas, I did think about 1/64 ply but it has gotten insanely expensive. I need to find a new supplier.

https://www.nationalbalsa.com/birch_ply_p/1641248bp.htm

https://shop.balsausa.com/product_p/344.htm

Dave F.

LeeR 06-05-2021 11:47 PM

Quote:

And Lee, with additional tubing, both my DBRM (to be built with my nephew) and MDRM will be converted to the Long version, making them DLRM and MDLRM respectively

Mark, I like the idea of long versions of the DBRM, and MDRM. I may have to copy you. :)

I cloned the original DBRM (18” long BT60), substituting a 24mm mount. It flew on a C11-3 that was more like a C11-12 ... lawn-darted a few seconds before ejection event.

L3Excalibur 06-06-2021 10:31 AM

D*mn! That is crazy! I Have a bunch of sheet balsa, basswood and thin ply that I've had for some years. Never thought it as part of my retirement fund! :-) ;-)

ghrocketman 06-06-2021 10:53 AM

Years ago, we used 1/64 ply to skin foam wing cores for R/C Pattern aircraft.
The local hobby shop now wants $25.95 per 12"x10" sheet, which is beyond ABSURD.
At that price it would cost over $200 just to skin a main wing.

I blame all this high wood price on the idiotic wind power industry using all the wood for prop blade cores.

Joe Wooten 06-06-2021 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Years ago, we used 1/64 ply to skin foam wing cores for R/C Pattern aircraft.
The local hobby shop now wants $25.95 per 12"x10" sheet, which is beyond ABSURD.
At that price it would cost over $200 just to skin a main wing.

I blame all this high wood price on the idiotic wind power industry using all the wood for prop blade cores.

Which are then thrown into dumps when they start to fail in 10 years or less

BEC 06-06-2021 06:21 PM

I can see, maybe, paying $8.67 for a 12x48 inch piece of 1/64 ply, but not a 12 inch square one….sheesh! 1/64th ply used to be one of my favorite materials for all sorts of interesting applications….but not now.

Bruiser 06-06-2021 07:49 PM

ply

Wonder what the shipping would be? I tried to check but you have to put in all your info before you can find out...

-Bob

Bruiser 06-06-2021 09:50 PM

From Sig

-Bob

MarkB. 06-23-2021 11:35 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Off-Topic Comrades:

Finally got a chance to work on it and made good progress. I reenforced the upper ring with some tubing I had that slip fit over the 29mm motor tube. I think it was LT-125 from Semroc. There's a 1.5" piece, then the ring, then a .5" piece so the ring is "trapped" between them. The Kevlar is a weave and I've run it down the motor mount in anticipation of gluing on the main body. The knot is coated with epoxy.

The next steps are to glue on the main body tube, add the fin skins and motor retainer and then we paint. I'm hoping to fly on 4th of July weekend.

MarkB. 07-25-2021 05:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Comrades:

Well, I didn't get done by 4th of July or even July 20th. Two quick pictures, the first is of the completed rocket before painting and the second, with primer, out under the blazing Texas sun this afternoon. Primers are Dupli-color Grey Filler and Dupli-color White.

Not entirely sure what colors I'm going to paint it. I don't particularly want to do it with the Alpha decals that have been around since 1982 as my original rocket flying days were before that. I note that the JimZ plans indicate the original prototype was white with red nose, one red fin and an adjacent panel red.

Maybe.

LeeR 07-25-2021 11:10 PM

Looks good, Mark. I’m looking forward to see it fully painted.

A Fish Named Wallyum 07-26-2021 07:58 AM

Quote:
I note that the JimZ plans indicate the original prototype was white with red nose, one red fin and an adjacent panel red.

Maybe.

One of the old Estes decals would provide a nice dash of anti-color. :cool:
https://www.rocketshoppe.com/decals/Estes_Logos.pdf

MarkB. 08-01-2021 09:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Comrades:

Here it is out-gassing on a painting stick under this afternoon's blazing Texas sunshine. Paint is Rustoleum Gloss White and Sunrise Red. Scheme is for the Alpha prototype from the K-25 instruction sheet on Jim Z's site. I like Bill's suggestion about an old Estes decal, I'll have to see what's in the decal box.

No idea when I'll be able to launch. We did get some rain so the burn ban is lifted but my recovery crew is going back to school tomorrow.

A Fish Named Wallyum 08-02-2021 06:07 AM

Quote:
I like Bill's suggestion about an old Estes decal, I'll have to see what's in the decal box.

If your decal box is short of them, let me know and I'll see what I can wang up with the inkjet. :cool:

MarkB. 06-07-2022 06:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Druziv:

(Ukrainian for comrades or friends)

So here's a quick, unexpected followup: Balsa Machine Service (BMS) had a 3" BNC-300K and I bought a pair a few months ago. Notice I say "had"; Unfortunately, as of today when I checked, it is no longer listed on their website, but maybe it will return. Or you could ask and see if he'll make you one.

In any event, I sealed one and prep'ed it for painting so I'll have an all-wood Very Large Alpha and I can save the Big Daddy plastic nose for something else. See the picture below.

The rocket is still unlaunched but I may get a chance in the next few weeks. I have a bunch of stuff for first flight. Gotta get it done before the recovery crew goes back to school.

ghrocketman 06-08-2022 08:13 AM

That thing is a monster.
Power ?
I'd imagine at least a full "G" or small H.