Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   More designs (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=11479)

Brain 09-27-2012 06:33 PM

Discovery

1 Attachment(s)
This would be an interesting build, if it even flies. I see repetitive section building to slide into place along a BT-50 tube, and I tried to simplify the original's shape to allow easier builds with existing materials. The fins are inspired by the monolith... I usually dislike these sorts of schemes on model rocket design, but I had to have something to make it fly (and according to Tim Milligan these are the ideal fin shape, or variation thereof) and at least they're relevant.

Brain 09-27-2012 07:45 PM

Explorator

1 Attachment(s)
This one has also shown up before, but I gave it a little different 'paint job'.
I think I like it better than the old version...

Brain 09-27-2012 09:25 PM

BEOWULF missile

1 Attachment(s)
I was out stargazing (well, more like 'moongazing') and this idea for a Vostok/military-missile hybrid popped into my head, so check it out.

luke strawwalker 09-28-2012 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain
This would be an interesting build, if it even flies. I see repetitive section building to slide into place along a BT-50 tube, and I tried to simplify the original's shape to allow easier builds with existing materials. The fins are inspired by the monolith... I usually dislike these sorts of schemes on model rocket design, but I had to have something to make it fly (and according to Tim Milligan these are the ideal fin shape, or variation thereof) and at least they're relevant.

I love it!!! (Well, I would even more if I were a huge "2001" fan... I like the movie, but I'm not ga-ga over it). COOL rocket though!

later! OL JR :)

luke strawwalker 09-28-2012 02:01 AM

Quote:
I was out stargazing (well, more like 'moongazing') and this idea for a Vostok/military-missile hybrid popped into my head, so check it out.

Nix the upper fins and you'd have something there... I like the looks of it without the upper fins...

KUTGW!!! OL JR :)

Brain 09-28-2012 10:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Nix the upper fins and you'd have something there... I like the looks of it without the upper fins...

KUTGW!!! OL JR :)

Like this?

Brain 09-28-2012 10:21 PM

Lunar-1

2 Attachment(s)
I ran across this picture (I seem to do that a lot) of an old rocket toy that some of you may have seen in the distant past... ;) ... and it was so retro I thought it would make fun little A- or B-engine build - or not!

luke strawwalker 09-28-2012 11:24 PM

Quote:
Like this?

Yep, that's the ticket... MUCH cooler looking now IMHO...

Later! OL JR :)

Brain 09-29-2012 05:24 PM

Kamenatya Leo

1 Attachment(s)
The Kamenatya LEO, another design with deadly intent.

luke strawwalker 09-29-2012 10:45 PM

Quote:
The Kamenatya LEO, another design with deadly intent.

That's cool looking... sorta like an modern take on the old Estes Airborne Surveillance Missile...

Very cool... Later! OL JR :)

Brain 09-30-2012 12:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
That's cool looking... sorta like an modern take on the old Estes Airborne Surveillance Missile...

Very cool... Later! OL JR :)

I wanted to give the impression that it had a different sort of propulsion system (plus I still have ping-pong balls in my build pile!); I also had the idea that it was a Low-Earth-Orbit weapon designed to go up on stealth and lay low in orbit until its target comes into range. I also thought it could be a two-stager...

Another rocket design below, one with perhaps too much exposition to explain in a few sentences, but it is from a story concept I've had rattling around in my head since art school. I can give more details, but it might be best to just go look first at a trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vppyE55FRKE

Brain 09-30-2012 09:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is an old/new one. I sat on this one because I didn't like it much at the time, so it's been sitting in the 'vault'. The Gatling...

Bill 09-30-2012 11:03 PM

Quote:
This is an old/new one. I sat on this one because I didn't like it much at the time, so it's been sitting in the 'vault'. The Gatling...

...and just how big a cluster would that be? Sequential airstarts, anyone?

Bill

Brain 10-01-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
...and just how big a cluster would that be? Sequential airstarts, anyone?

Bill

Uh, yeah... my first thought was to fake the whole multiple tube look with BT-20's or the like around a BT-50 with a 50 - 60 transition on top & bottom - and that sounds like a fairly serious craftsman job to cut those little tubes to match those two transition angles... but they could be a cluster of eight something-or-others... A's? B's? Or maybe only half of those little tubes are real and you have a four-engine cluster... which still seems to make for a beefy rocket - you might want a cluster anyway! And do we still have the interior tube after all those considerations??? That's the fun here... the voyage of discovery! Unless you load up RockSim... :D

Brain 10-02-2012 06:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Starvenger... more Vostok influence.

Randy 10-02-2012 06:23 PM

Quote:
The Starvenger... more Vostok influence.

chad 2 stage!

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

Brain 10-02-2012 08:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another thought: you have the Goony Birds and the other similar little fat rockets; in a thread from a while back ('Whistling in a vacuum...') I showed off some idea of what a SKY AYE catalog might look like - one of the pages featured a set of mini-rockets that I called 'Multi-Mins'... well, I decided to take that product line idea and reconfigure some of my existing designs as Gooney-style A- or B-motor kits and call them 'Ulta-Mites'... :cool:

From L to R: The Stinger (the Stanger's little bro); the Skedaddle (the only one not based on an existing design); the Agent Kumquat (following the Agent Orange & Tangerine lines); the Ringer, based on the tube-crosshair finned Dead Ringer design.

Brain 10-03-2012 08:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ULTA-MITES so far:
Mite Ranger
Stinger
Skedaddle
Honest Johnnie
Agent Kumquat
Ringer
Lil' Wanderer
B-Marie

Brain 10-03-2012 09:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Something called the Hellrazer, a futuristic nuclear delivery vehicle.
Reminds me a bit of Thunderbird 3...

Randy 10-04-2012 06:49 AM

Quote:
Something called the Hellrazer, a futuristic nuclear delivery vehicle.
Reminds me a bit of Thunderbird 3...

Love it!

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

Brain 10-04-2012 09:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
After all this hair-raising rocket design madness, I thought I'd step back and punt with this simple design, the Starbolt. Metallic white tube and NC (and probably doesn't even need the decal) with three fins, each one of the primary colors. Tasty!

But then... the Skylon is what it is - an attempt to recreate the proposed Skylon vehicle in a standard rocket airframe. The pods on the fins are indeed curved (as in the original) and have ramjet intakes.

Brain 10-06-2012 12:08 PM

Freeloader

1 Attachment(s)
Although a few of the designs I've posted could be realized as payload rockets, this is the first design with a mind toward that type of kit (actually, it was the name Freeloader that helped settle on the style). Although not necessarily in view here, the launch lugs are placed forward along the outside of the transparent payload bay top to bottom, and a shorter aft one lies hidden inside the center of the three rear tube fins. I'm thinking a D-or E-motor bird... it looks like it could be a bigger one.

Randy 10-06-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:
Although a few of the designs I've posted could be realized as payload rockets, this is the first design with a mind toward that type of kit (actually, it was the name Freeloader that helped settle on the style). Although not necessarily in view here, the launch lugs are placed forward along the outside of the transparent payload bay top to bottom, and a shorter aft one lies hidden inside the center of the three rear tube fins. I'm thinking a D-or E-motor bird... it looks like it could be a bigger one.

Yep, a D or E core, mini's in the pods!

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

Brain 10-06-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
Yep, a D or E core, mini's in the pods!

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

Ooh, you cwazy!
I didn't design for ducting, but hey... you can be the first! :D

Brain 10-06-2012 06:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The whole kit & kaboodle arranged roughly in order of shortest to tallest (and all subject to change):
Bombs Away, GBU-8, Astroland Park, Agent Orange, Four Alarm, Explorator, Lunar-1, Blackstar, Classic, Starstream, Red Baroness, Stanger, Astrogator, Gatling, Caveat, Commander, Uproar, Ecliptus, Circular Logic, Nomad, Starvenger, Skypunch, Beowulf, Night Ranger, Starbolt, Bulldog 24-D, Hellrazer, Empress, Terraphobia, Kamenatya LEO, Freeloader, Ascender, Starpedo, Ballistica, Big Brew, Auriga, Gryphon SDV, Skyletto, Declinator, Starbound, Dead Ringer, Levitar, Atlatl, SaturnX, & Sapringer A-O.

Randy 10-06-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:
The whole kit & kaboodle arranged roughly in order of shortest to tallest( and all subject to change):
Bombs Away, GBU-8, Astroland Park, Agent Orange, Four Alarm, Explorator, Lunat-1, Blackstar, Classic, Starstream, Red Baroness, Stanger, Astrogator, Gatling, Caveat, Commander, Uproar, Ecliptus, Circular Logic, Nomad, Starvenger, Skypunch, Beowulf, Night Ranger, Starbolt, Bulldog 24-D, Hellrazer, Empress, Terraphobia, Kamenatya LEO, Freeloader, Ascender, Starpedo, Ballistica, Big Brew, Auriga, Gryphon SDV, Skyletto, Declinator, Starbound, Dead Ringer, Levitar, Atlatl, SaturnX, & Sapringer A-O.

Brain, I think you're old enough to remember Deputy Dog...

Van Gopher: Oooo-weee Depity Dawg, that's sum fine looking rokits you got there boy! ;)

In one of my favorite episodes, Deputy Dawg managed to put himself in orbit... 3 feet off the ground!

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

Vanel 10-06-2012 11:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I very much like the look of the Lunat 1, so I used the image to gen up a quick design in Open Rocket 12.09. ST-16 to ST-7 matches pretty well, though the rocket is a bit on the short side and requires some nose weight for stability.

(learning to use Open Rocket so I can help out local TARC teams who can't afford RockSim)

Brain 10-07-2012 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanel
I very much like the look of the Lunat 1, so I used the image to gen up a quick design in Open Rocket 12.09. ST-16 to ST-7 matches pretty well, though the rocket is a bit on the short side and requires some nose weight for stability.

(learning to use Open Rocket so I can help out local TARC teams who can't afford RockSim)

Nice! Thank you very much. If I ever get around to doing something about this design, I'll refer back to this.

Brain 10-07-2012 02:45 PM

Python 5

1 Attachment(s)
I have a folder with images of various rockets & missiles - be they real or imagined - that I might like to do a build from. This one caught my eye today, so here is a simplified kit version of the Python 5 missile.

Brain 10-07-2012 08:11 PM

Mesonic

2 Attachment(s)
A new one I call the Mesonic (no good reason why), since I don't know what the originator may have called it. I'm not even sure if it's a real thing. Seems like some sort of a cruise missile... in this case it could easily be a four-engine cluster build!

Brain 10-08-2012 05:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a fun one... see if you can guess the influence. It's called the Phasor.

Brain 10-10-2012 06:42 PM

Brahmos & Blue Meanie

2 Attachment(s)
Two more designs... the Brahmos is an Indian cruise missile which is neat as heck - and the Blue Meanie started out as a different syle of rocket way back (I don't remember if I ever showed that version on this forum... I hope not!) but I liked the name and decided to re-do it.

Brain 10-17-2012 02:32 PM

Point Blank

1 Attachment(s)
Not much to say... I used the fins off the Brahmos to accessorize this one.

Bill 10-17-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:
A new one I call the Mesonic (no good reason why), since I don't know what the originator may have called it. I'm not even sure if it's a real thing. Seems like some sort of a cruise missile... in this case it could easily be a four-engine cluster build!

It would be easy to build that now that you can bash a kit from New Way... http://oldrocketforum.com/attachmen...achmentid=31328

Bill

Brain 10-18-2012 02:32 PM

Starpointe

1 Attachment(s)
The Starpointe is an antimatter-powered missile that can engage a target all the way across the solar system. Or, that's what it would do if it was real... :rolleyes:

Bill 10-18-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:
It would be easy to build that now that you can bash a kit from New Way... http://oldrocketforum.com/attachmen...achmentid=31328

I had to trial fit some parts. The New Way tube was too small for four 18mm motors, but four 13s would be ideal...of course the model will require clear fins to be stable.

Bill

Brain 10-18-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:
I had to trial fit some parts. The New Way tube was too small for four 18mm motors, but four 13s would be ideal...of course the model will require clear fins to be stable.

Bill

I don't have a big problem with that, considering that I'm not even sure if this thing is real or not. If not, I figure (barring the creators' automatic copyright) game on for a re-design. But that sounds like a nifty little rocket, a four X 13mm cluster!

Brain 10-22-2012 04:12 PM

SKY AYE desktop

1 Attachment(s)
As is typical of my getting involved in personal creative projects I tend to run the gamut of developing content related to whatever it is I'm working on at the time; the attached file is a desktop image of all of the rocket designs I've come up with to date, excluding that Dyna-Mite line you saw if you're following this thread. The relative rocket sizes you see are very preliminary and are up for all kinds of revisions. But it looks neat. Content is king! :D
NOTE: The image has been updated.

Randy 10-22-2012 04:35 PM

Quote:
As is typical of my getting involved in personal creative projects I tend to run the gamut of developing content related to whatever it is I'm working on at the time; the attached file is a desktop image of all of the rocket designs I've come up with to date, excluding that Dyna-Mite line you saw if you're following this thread. The relative rocket sizes you see are very preliminary and are up for all kinds of revisions. But it looks neat. Content is king! :D

Now all you need to do is start selling kits.

Randy
www.vernarockests.com

Bluegrass Rocket 10-22-2012 05:14 PM

In your group graphic I don't see one of my favorites the ATLATL.