Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   SAM - Semroc Astronautic Modeler Team (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Cherokee-D (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=10055)

A Fish Named Wallyum 10-18-2011 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
I'm assuming it weathercocked badly, no?

When I cooked up my 3-stage Uber Tuber, on its first flight, I had only a single D12 in the 1st stage. It crawled off the rod. By the time the 3rd stage lit, it was horizontal in the sky. It went way down range. But the good thing was, I was using a mylar streamer. Don Magness and I recovered it after a good long walk.

Those mylar streamers are amazingly helpful when you're pushing the limits. The glint of light reflecting off them makes them much easier to track at long ranges. So having the right amount drag in the recovery system is only part of the solution. Having a shiny, reflective streamer is another key part.

Doug...too bad they don't make mylar golf balls...;)

Well, it weren't goodly, that's for sure. :D We happened to be flying down near the southern edge of the VOA on that day. It initially headed for the south, then caught the breeze and took off to the north. It looked like it might have stayed inside the park, but I was pretty far behind it, so it was difficult to tell. I drove out and followed the line about a 1/4 mile in each direction inside and outside of the park, but never found it. Just another contribution to the VOA greenery on my part. ;)

Tau Zero 10-18-2011 10:25 PM

Supporting Bill...

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I'll write that down. :rolleyes:
So you can remember not to do it, or so you remember to try it?

--Just coverin' for ya. :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D

Hmm, what if I upscale an Estes Drifter to humongous SLS dimensions, and then stuff a cargo chute inside? (walks away doing some serious figuring...)

A Fish Named Wallyum 10-18-2011 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
So you can remember not to do it, or so you remember to try it?

--Just coverin' for ya. :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D

Hmm, what if I upscale an Estes Drifter to humongous SLS dimensions, and then stuff a cargo chute inside? (walks away doing some serious figuring...)

(Pssst. I just said that to humor him. See? He's quiet now. :D )

Tau Zero 10-19-2011 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
(Pssst. I just said that to humor him. See? He's quiet now. :D )
Zzzzzzz.

Mark II 10-20-2011 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
Zzzzzzz.
[Ssshhhsssss.....don't wake him!]

blackshire 10-20-2011 03:10 AM

Using three of the new Estes 6" parachutes (reefed if necessary, although such small 'chutes might not need it) would give the Cherokee-D a stately "Apolloesque" appearance during descent without making it drift too far. They would also give it some redundancy, in the event one of the 'chutes failed to open.

ghrocketman 10-20-2011 10:30 AM

Alright, ya bunch o' smart-alecks.... :chuckle:

Actually the reason I said that is that I have lost more Cherokee-D's five-fold to any other rocket.
At least 3 on 18" chutes, and at least 2 on 12".
Streamers only on that one for me now....

The Estes Skybolt actually weighed MORE, but had streamer recovery STOCK !

Anything "D" powered that weighs less than an Astron Renegade, I equip with a streamer or a 12" chute with a BIG spill hole.

sandman 10-20-2011 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Alright, ya bunch o' smart-alecks.... :chuckle:

Actually the reason I said that is that I have lost more Cherokee-D's five-fold to any other rocket.
At least 3 on 18" chutes, and at least 2 on 12".
Streamers only on that one for me now....

The Estes Skybolt actually weighed MORE, but had streamer recovery STOCK !

Anything "D" powered that weighs less than an Astron Renegade, I equip with a streamer or a 12" chute with a BIG spill hole.

I have that one beat!

I lost my last Cherokee D at NARAM 47 with just a nose blow ejection...no chute or streamer and it drifted away!

ghrocketman 10-20-2011 12:10 PM

Sandman, that DEFINITELY beats me !
What was the motor ?
I did not know one could lose one due to drift with "nose-blow" recovery !
Those must have been some HIGH winds !

For some reason I always lost them on D12-7's....NEVER any other motor....not on D12-5, D11-9, C11-5, B6-4, or C6-5's.
Never used over a D in one...the E9 would most certainly increase the chance of loss.

sandman 10-20-2011 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Sandman, that DEFINITELY beats me !
What was the motor ?
I did not know one could lose one due to drift with "nose-blow" recovery !
Those must have been some HIGH winds !

For some reason I always lost them on D12-7's....NEVER any other motor....not on D12-5, D11-9, C11-5, B6-4, or C6-5's.
Never used over a D in one...the E9 would most certainly increase the chance of loss.

:o Yes...a D12-7... :o