Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Model Rocket History (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Dick Nelson RIP 3/13/2020 (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=18417)

r83nelson 04-03-2020 02:20 PM

Dick Nelson RIP 3/13/2020

Hi Everyone,

My name is Ruth Nelson DiCasoli and my Father was Richard "Dick" Nelson. For any of you that knew my Dad...well, he was a big supporter of model rocketry and host to many Vulture Squardron ModRoc meets in Pearl River. He loved to teach, to share what he knew with kids and peers alike. My Dad passed away on March 13th and I have been sharing this post on some model sites to collect any memories that you all might have and possibly might like to share. Many thanks...stay safe and be well.

For any that might want to read a bit about some of his accomplishments and interests I have included his obituary - he was a pretty amazing guy :)

Richard "Dick" Nelson

Rocketcrab 04-03-2020 03:46 PM

From the picture provided in the link, I recognize your father from various model rocketry events, although I don't believe that I actually met him. Our condolences for your loss.

r83nelson 04-03-2020 03:51 PM

Thank you so much :)

Earl 04-03-2020 05:02 PM

Ruth-

Sincere condolences in the loss of your father. I appreciate you posting this news to us here.

I never met your father, but that would certainly seem to be my loss. However, as a long-time member of the NAR, I remember your Dad being in the monthly magazine of that organization quite often back in the late 70s and throughout the 80s. Often times, this seemed to be in association with the annual Pearl River seminar, if I recall correctly. Locally, I did not have very much interaction with rocketeers because, primarily, there did not seem to be any! So, many of the people and activities I would read about each month in the NAR magazine kind of filled that void.

With all your father’s passion for the hobby, one could assume many in that area can thank him for introducing them to the hobby. It sounds like he had positive impacts on many, many people’s lives, and not just through rocketry. What a wonderful legacy he has left for so many!

I hope the memories you have and those you may receive from others will be of comfort to you and your family as you go through the coming months.

Sincere Regards,

Earl

Gus 04-04-2020 12:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Fliskits produced a rocket kit in honor of Dick Nelson.

The D-Nelson Tomahawk

5x7 04-04-2020 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Fliskits produced a rocket kit in honor of Dick Nelson.

The D-Nelson Tomahawk

The old Fliskits site had a few kind words:
Fliskits old page for the D Nelson

stefanj 04-04-2020 10:13 AM

I think I met your dad once, at the last (?) Pearl River convention in 1991. He was retiring that year, as I recall.

r83nelson 04-04-2020 05:42 PM

Many thanks for your kind words...just today i was in my parents basement where we have TONS of models, kits, engines, balsa...lol. Many photos from the conventions . And LOTS of NAR patches and literature as well. Planning a proper launch of the Fliskits D-Nelson once we are all in a safe time to gather. :)