Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Vendors (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Classic Decal sources (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=17809)

jharding58 03-04-2019 10:20 PM

Classic Decal sources

Are there any emergent or reborn sources for decals? Getting back into scale after a lot of years and looking for sources. I suppose this makes me a BABAR.

tbzep 03-05-2019 07:15 AM

Tango Papa - often busy flying real jets
Stickershock - vinyl
Do it yourself - can't print white or metallic, and using white decal paper sucks
Sandman - not printing but has a few decals leftover

If you peek at the Cantina, he is playing with screenprinting, but nothing is available.

LeeR 03-05-2019 02:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Stickershock - vinyl
Do it yourself - can't print white or metallic, and using white decal paper sucks

If you peek at the Cantina, he is playing with screenprinting, but nothing is available.

I’ve done Stickershock down to BT-60, and would probably go smaller, even down to BT-50. At BT-60 they look great, and not too thick. On smaller models they might look too thick. I’d recommend anyone wanting to use them on smaller rockets just contact Mark Hayes and he can advise. His website has some great pictures of his work.

I’ve posted this before, but here is my Estes STM-012 that I bashed into a bigger version of a Bandit (sort of). I had Mark upscale the Bandit decals from BT-55 to BT-60.

Finally, perhaps Gord will chime in, but I thought he could print black-only decals, so decals like Goblin decals perhaps could be done.

Linville86 03-06-2019 04:46 AM

Ive used Bedlam Creations for water slide with good success. You buy the page so fit as many decals as you can on it.

Tau Zero 06-06-2020 03:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Stickershock - vinyl
I've been wrestling with redrawing the decals for the Estes Hawkeye (see attached) for my 1.91X Semroc/Centuri ST-10 upscale, but the white sections have me somewhat stumped.

Because $ is pretty tight just now, I don't know if I can justify vinyl costs to She Who Must Be Obeyed.

Comments, anyone?

bernomatic 06-07-2020 02:53 PM

Since my daughter hasn't gotten back to me with help on setting up the store on the starportsagitta.net site, I haven't really been able to take orders yet. However,
I am capable of screen printing water slide decals. These are not the printer sheet decals with the film covering the entire sheet. Also, printing in white, orange and certain metallics is also possible

That being said, I can and will run a set of decals with the following stipulations:

1) I do not have a large library of designs for existing rocket kits. If I can get a scan of a previous design, I can enlarge or decrease the scale as needed. Original artwork would need to be provided in a scalable vector (.svg) file

2) Time is not an issue. Remember: cheap; great work; fast. pick two out of three. Once the order is received, 3-4 weeks for delivery.

3) the decals will fit on an 8½" x 11" sheet. I can do multiple sheets, but that is the only sheet size I have on hand. Larger decals may be possible depending on whether I can find stock.

4) additional restrictions may apply

Email me at sales@sagittarockets.com an email or phone number and I will contact as soon as I can.

bernomatic 06-07-2020 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau Zero
I've been wrestling with redrawing the decals for the Estes Hawkeye (see attached) for my 1.91X Semroc/Centuri ST-10 upscale, but the white sections have me somewhat stumped.

Because $ is pretty tight just now, I don't know if I can justify vinyl costs to She Who Must Be Obeyed.

Comments, anyone?

need a ruler in the scan

Tau Zero 06-08-2020 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernomatic
Since my daughter hasn't gotten back to me with help on setting up the store on the starportsagitta.net site, I haven't really been able to take orders yet. However,
I am capable of screen printing water slide decals. These are not the printer sheet decals with the film covering the entire sheet. Also, printing in white, orange and certain metallics is also possible

That being said, I can and will run a set of decals with the following stipulations:

1) I do not have a large library of designs for existing rocket kits. If I can get a scan of a previous design, I can enlarge or decrease the scale as needed. Original artwork would need to be provided in a scalable vector (.svg) file
Bernard,

Thanks for the timely response. My main vector drawing program for years has been Paint Shop Pro, but it doesn't have the .svg format for a "Save As" option. It looks like I'd need to start using Inkscape for that, since I'm too cheap to pop for an Adobe Illustrator subscription.

Quote:
2) Time is not an issue. Remember: cheap; great work; fast. pick two out of three. Once the order is received, 3-4 weeks for delivery.

3) the decals will fit on an 8½" x 11" sheet. I can do multiple sheets, but that is the only sheet size I have on hand. Larger decals may be possible depending on whether I can find stock.

Email me at sales@sagittarockets.com an email or phone number and I will contact as soon as I can.
All of those are reasonable conditions.

Quote:
need a ruler in the scan
Easy to do with a new scan. Tougher to add a ruler to an existing scale (but still possible).

Earl 06-08-2020 03:45 PM

Quote:

This all sounds fairly promising. Can you give a ballpark figure of about how much a typical sheet of decals might cost? I understand that might depend on a number of variables, but at least a rough estimate or ‘range’ of cost?

Earl

bernomatic 06-08-2020 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
This all sounds fairly promising. Can you give a ballpark figure of about how much a typical sheet of decals might cost? I understand that might depend on a number of variables, but at least a rough estimate or ‘range’ of cost?

Earl

My original instinct is to quote an awesomely exorbitant number :eek: , however too often such sarcasm and humor is misinterpreted as an actual number and discourages the free exchange of trade.

Let's just do some straight assuming. I get usable, correct scale artwork; there are two colors (non-metallic); the decals take a half sheet (5½" x 11"±) and it is a design which I may be able to sell additional sheets for in the next year or so, I would say less than ten dollars.

Earl 06-08-2020 10:04 PM

Well, that’s not too bad at all really. You say two colors. Is that the limit of what you can do, or was that just the basis for the price estimate? Also, would white be considered a color? I would assume so.

In any event, thanks for the response. Interesting.

Earl

bernomatic 06-08-2020 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Well, that’s not too bad at all really. You say two colors. Is that the limit of what you can do, or was that just the basis for the price estimate? Also, would white be considered a color? I would assume so.

In any event, thanks for the response. Interesting.

Earl

Yes white is a color. As to the number of colors, how rich are you?

I would actually limit it to four colors right now as more would require an additional set-up of the press and I would have to upcharge for that.

As to the artwork, I can create the .svg files from numerous file types, PDF being preferred. I don't like using the .jpeg files (or others of that ilk, .gif, .png, etc.) as they have the possibility of having the scale thrown off when printed. I can also use files drawn in autocad (saved in AutoCAD2017 or earlier).

bernomatic 06-08-2020 11:15 PM

A couple of additional minor detail. Since the company I was using stopped selling waterslide decal paper, I have been searching for a new company to supply me. The only issue that entails, besides the size limitation, is that the decals will be printed on a white background paper, not blue. Which means it can be a little difficult to differentiate where the decal is and additional care should be taken.

Also, with larger decals, as far as I can find, the paper suppliers all are in China now since some SOB decided to be a $&&$#$@#@* and start suing American suppliers for a patent process infringement on the use of the decals created for a form of glass etching using the decals created. This individual decided to apply for a patent for a process that individual crafters had been using for years. She would have her lawyer write cease and desist letters to the paper suppliers and home crafters using the process or suffer the consequences. A bunch of the American suppliers just dried up after that. :mad:

Net result, I would more than likely have to add additional time to the order for delivery of the larger paper from overseas. I am not sure if I can find the paper I need in blue backing.

tbzep 06-09-2020 08:45 AM

Quote:
Also, with larger decals, as far as I can find, the paper suppliers all are in China now since some SOB decided to be a $&&$#$@#@* and start suing American suppliers for a patent process infringement on the use of the decals created for a form of glass etching using the decals created. This individual decided to apply for a patent for a process that individual crafters had been using for years. She would have her lawyer write cease and desist letters to the paper suppliers and home crafters using the process or suffer the consequences. A bunch of the American suppliers just dried up after that. :mad:

To quote thousands and thousands of famous, infamous, and not so well known men and women, "That b1+ch"!!!

ghrocketman 06-09-2020 09:12 AM

+1 to what tbzep just stated.

rraeford 06-23-2020 12:05 PM

I have a fair number (actually a large number) of decals I need to have made. If I go through an existing vendor (not wanting to cast aspersions here), it will cost me a lot more than I want to pay—plus, digitally produced decals don't really do what I need them to do. They are brittle and too translucent.

What I want to do is take several kit decals that are relatively small in size and are just one color (black) and put them on one sheet. That way, there can be multiple decals made with each pass and they can be cut apart and sold separately. For example, Taurus, Groove Tube, Excalibur, Vector V, Astro-1—just to name a few. These will all fit on a page together.

I only need one or two myself but you could produce more and then sell the others making it more worth your while.

I can provide vector artwork of all of these (and many, many others) to you in any format you need. Would this be something you'd be interested in? If so, feel free to PM me. Thanks.

rraeford

Newbomb Turk 07-15-2020 08:00 PM

I will be following this thread with great interest.

I've almost completed a BT-55 Estes Yankee upscale to fly on Ds, and need the white deeks, and a custom nose cone. Sandman, are you still making sawdust?

sandman 07-15-2020 09:20 PM

I feel terrible that I just can’t help you guys.

I don’t see me buying another Alps printer or paper, or more ink.

The printers out there are now all too old.

I do have over 500 decal files if anyone needs a file.

Blushingmule 07-16-2020 09:44 AM

Bernard,

Have you checked Microscale Industries? Their sheets are blue backed.

Bob

sandman 07-16-2020 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbomb Turk
I will be following this thread with great interest.

I've almost completed a BT-55 Estes Yankee upscale to fly on Ds, and need the white deeks, and a custom nose cone. Sandman, are you still making sawdust?

I’m still making nose cones. Unfortunately too many of you guys seem to think 3D printing is the way to go.

As for decals that ship has sailed for me.

I would love to print decals but the expense of sending a printer to Japan is just not worth it. The last two printers I sent to Japan failed after one month.

The repair is NOT guaranteed.

5x7 07-16-2020 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman

Can you send them to Scott so he can post them?

Newbomb Turk 07-16-2020 05:04 PM

Quote:

Do NOT feel badly because of your printers. Short of Scott and Carl, you've probably done more to bring joy to BARs everywhere than anyone else.

I worded my earlier post poorly. I know the decals aren't doable, but I am in the market for a BNC-20Y, upscaled to BT-55. And probably one for BT-60, too. Let me know if you're interested.

LeeR 07-16-2020 05:34 PM

Quote:

Gord,

Are you still selling old kits? I’ve tried day and night for awhile, and your website shows the “closed for maintenance” message.

Ltvscout 07-16-2020 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbomb Turk
Do NOT feel badly because of your printers. Short of Scott and Carl, you've probably done more to bring joy to BARs everywhere than anyone else.

Don't forget JimZ. He's been around longer than I with BAR goodies on the internet.

tbzep 07-16-2020 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Don't forget JimZ. He's been around longer than I with BAR goodies on the internet.

And Sven at Ninfinger.org

Linville86 07-17-2020 04:08 AM

Here is a neat video "How to print on anything" . I wonder if decals could be reproduced with this method.

Newbomb Turk 07-17-2020 06:57 AM

JimZ and Sven are both valid. I should have prefaced my statement with something like "It's been my experience...."

I do maintain that Gordo is right up there.