Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   New Scratch Build (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=18011)

mycrofte 07-30-2019 12:10 PM

New Scratch Build

2 Attachment(s)
Been thinking of building a new rocket but no real ideas. Came up with a couple this morning though.

Blushingmule 07-30-2019 12:48 PM

Dragonfly!

Bob

LeeR 07-30-2019 01:33 PM

That Phantom Cruiser would make a cool parasite glider.

jeffyjeep 07-30-2019 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrofte
Been thinking of building a new rocket but no real ideas. Came up with a couple this morning though.

Isn't the first one the jet of Doctor Quest? (yes, I'm that old.)

Ltvscout 07-30-2019 03:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I loved reading Tom Swift books as a kid. I still have most of mine stored somewhere. Here's his Rocketship that would look neat as a scratchbuild. Those two upper fins could make for a fun flight for GH. ;-)

mycrofte 07-30-2019 03:16 PM

For sanity, I would just make the Dragonfly with 3 vertical stabs as fins. It really isn't much for design.

The Phantom Cruiser could be lengthened more like a Goblin. Might grind down a balsa nose to a 3 sided point though. Two large fins for the wings and two smaller ones top and bottom.

Still have to dig through my boxes to see what parts I even have.

jetlag 07-30-2019 03:53 PM

Isn't the Phantom Cruiser from Spaceghost? I loved that cartoon. Loved Johnny Quest's ship as well.

Allen

mycrofte 07-30-2019 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
Isn't the Phantom Cruiser from Spaceghost? I loved that cartoon. Loved Johnny Quest's ship as well.

Allen

Yep! I watched both as a kid in the 60's.

ghrocketman 07-30-2019 05:08 PM

That Phantom Cruiser looks like it would fly about like a Cylon Raider in earth atmosphere.

mycrofte 07-31-2019 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
That Phantom Cruiser looks like it would fly about like a Cylon Raider in earth atmosphere.

I don't think it would work well as-is. That is why I would lengthen it and make flat fins.

Royatl 07-31-2019 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
I loved reading Tom Swift books as a kid. I still have most of mine stored somewhere. Here's his Rocketship that would look neat as a scratchbuild. Those two upper fins could make for a fun flight for GH. ;-)

too late, Elon already took that for Starship!

DeanHFox 08-01-2019 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Ah, Scott, the "Star Spear"! I *loved* that book and the design, too!

It always saddened me (as a young child) that the Star Spear wasn't used in future adventures of Tom Swift, Jr. and Bud Barclay. But then my parents took me to the Smithsonian, and I realized that Tom and his Father probably had a "museum" wing at Swift Enterprises where they kept the "One of a Kind truly Historic inventions", and the Star Spear was likely enshrined there...

Now I've got to dig out my copy of TS Jr. #3 and Corel Draw & get busy on a flyable Star Spear. Hmmm...I'm thinking 3" diameter... :)

Ltvscout 08-01-2019 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanHFox
Ah, Scott, the "Star Spear"! I *loved* that book and the design, too!

It always saddened me (as a young child) that the Star Spear wasn't used in future adventures of Tom Swift, Jr. and Bud Barclay. But then my parents took me to the Smithsonian, and I realized that Tom and his Father probably had a "museum" wing at Swift Enterprises where they kept the "One of a Kind truly Historic inventions", and the Star Spear was likely enshrined there...

Now I've got to dig out my copy of TS Jr. #3 and Corel Draw & get busy on a flyable Star Spear. Hmmm...I'm thinking 3" diameter... :)

Hahaha. I'm sure there's a Swift Enterprises museum somewhere holding all of his wonderful inventions.

Start a project thread if you do recreate the Star Spear!

mycrofte 08-02-2019 06:20 AM

I was more of an E. E. "Doc" Smith fan.

mycrofte 08-02-2019 03:21 PM

I have enough parts for the Dragonfly and started on it. I have the engine mount gluing in now.

I have most of the parts for a Phantom Cruiser but used all my fin balsa on the Dragonfly. Might have to dig around for some plastic sheeting.

mycrofte 08-04-2019 09:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Got the fins on and building up the fillets. Still a lot of sanding to do. Turned out a little rough and the cockpit & air scoop were just scrap balsa.

I made the fins 3/4 of their original size for weight and balance. Uploaded the pattern PDF for anyone who wants to try one. Note: I didn't have a BT-50 boat-tail so I just extended the engine tube out a half inch.

mycrofte 08-07-2019 10:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Got it done and just glued in the shock cord. Still need to do a swing test .
__________________________________________________ _________

mycrofte 08-07-2019 03:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, even my wife didn't care for the bland Dragonfly. On to the Phantom Cruiser now. Put a picture up with what I am doing to the nose cone. Marked out 3 spots and made ovals to shave flat.
__________________________________________________ __________________

jetlag 08-07-2019 08:54 PM

Quote:
Got it done and just glued in the shock cord. Still need to do a swing test .
__________________________________________________ _________

I like that a lot! Well done!

mycrofte 08-11-2019 09:10 AM

I have a test question for everyone. Since the original Phantom Cruiser has an extended tail, would one (of four) fins being extended cause much trouble?

I am making the side fins (wings) full size and the top & bottom at 3/4 size. Figured if I extend the lower fin it would look more like the original and give it 3 legs to stand up on. I am assuming it shouldn't be an issue at this size.

mycrofte 08-13-2019 01:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the fin pattern I made for the Phantom Cruiser. Along with a pattern for the cockpit and logo on top.

mycrofte 08-18-2019 09:56 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Finally got the Phantom Cruiser done. Not entirely happy with it but my wife likes it. Came out rough since I painted the details by hand. Should have dug out the sticker paper for the printer.

mycrofte 08-19-2019 06:49 AM

No comments at all. Is it really that bad?

jetlag 08-19-2019 07:15 AM

I think it looks great! I've always remembered Space Ghost fondly.
I think your rendition is nicely done.
Be sure to get pictures of your flight!

Allen

tbzep 08-19-2019 07:56 AM

Looks great. I just haven't been near a computer for a couple days.

A Fish Named Wallyum 08-19-2019 10:00 AM

I've had a couple of scratch birds that I called Phantom Cruiser, neither of which survive anymore and neither of which looked as good as this. I was brokenhearted when I lost my surviving Space Ghost coloring book in one of the moves. :(

mycrofte 08-19-2019 10:21 AM

There are a few things I would have done different had I known how it would turn out. Maybe some of the former engineers here can tell me about fin surface area. If I had put two smaller fins on top I could have placed the logo down further.

mycrofte 09-12-2019 02:16 PM

New project in the works. With Semroc (and others) out, I am having a hard time finding an egg shaped BT-50 nose cone.

Anyone out here know of another company?

tbzep 09-12-2019 02:34 PM

Quote:
New project in the works. With Semroc (and others) out, I am having a hard time finding an egg shaped BT-50 nose cone.

Anyone out here know of another company?

Gordy (Sandman) can turn anything.

Also, you can take a BMS balsa cone and sand it down to various custom shapes. If you are talking about a larger diameter egg shape on a BT-50 shoulder, see my first suggestion.

Third option, get yourself a cheap Harbor Freight wood lathe (or used lathe) and tools and learn to turn. Start out with something cheap and easy like scrap 2x4 and then move on to more expensive balsa. :cool:

One last option. Glue a balsa coupler or bulkhead to a plastic egg. Fill the shape out as needed with Bondo spot putty.

mycrofte 09-12-2019 06:33 PM

A plastic Easter egg was my first thought. Our granddaughter says she doesn't have any at home.
__________________________________________________ _____________________________

tbzep 09-12-2019 08:11 PM

Quote:
A plastic Easter egg was my first thought. Our granddaughter says she doesn't have any at home.

Unfortunately, it seems that L'eggs quit selling their product in eggs in 1991. Too bad. I've heard that nothing beats a great pair of them.

mycrofte 09-13-2019 05:25 AM

That's to bad. Would be great for an upscale of what I'm doing.

I'll hit up the neighbor kids this weekend for one.
__________________________________________________ _

jetlag 09-13-2019 06:11 AM

Quote:
That's to bad. Would be great for an upscale of what I'm doing.

I'll hit up the neighbor kids this weekend for one.
__________________________________________________ _

I don't think she'll fit! :D

A Fish Named Wallyum 09-13-2019 06:19 AM

I have a box of L'eggs eggs that I bought for postage years ago. Let me know if that will work. Seems a tad large, but I do have them.

mycrofte 09-13-2019 02:15 PM

I am doing a standard BT-55 to BT-50 design. Might be a tad large for that. Someone had released a set of alien nose cones (within the last couple of years) and I was hoping they were still out there.

mycrofte 09-26-2019 08:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My current build is a little more difficult. Still haven't found a plastic egg but the fins are taking time anyway. Thought I would put up the PDF file for everyone before I am done.

A Fish Named Wallyum 09-26-2019 11:04 AM

Quote:
I am doing a standard BT-55 to BT-50 design. Might be a tad large for that. Someone had released a set of alien nose cones (within the last couple of years) and I was hoping they were still out there.

Estes did a Sci-Fi nose cone assortment. Is that what you mean?

mycrofte 09-26-2019 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum

I looked on the Estes web site and didn't see them.

5x7 09-26-2019 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum

It’s there:

https://estesrockets.com/product/00...ssortment-5-pk/

LeeR 09-26-2019 09:31 PM

AC Supply sells them. And 40% off like all the Estes stuff. But ... if you’re like me, you find $100 in stuff you gotta have, so you get free shipping.