Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   New Scratch Build (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=18011)

mycrofte 08-13-2019 01:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the fin pattern I made for the Phantom Cruiser. Along with a pattern for the cockpit and logo on top.

mycrofte 08-18-2019 09:56 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Finally got the Phantom Cruiser done. Not entirely happy with it but my wife likes it. Came out rough since I painted the details by hand. Should have dug out the sticker paper for the printer.

mycrofte 08-19-2019 06:49 AM

No comments at all. Is it really that bad?

jetlag 08-19-2019 07:15 AM

I think it looks great! I've always remembered Space Ghost fondly.
I think your rendition is nicely done.
Be sure to get pictures of your flight!

Allen

tbzep 08-19-2019 07:56 AM

Looks great. I just haven't been near a computer for a couple days.

A Fish Named Wallyum 08-19-2019 10:00 AM

I've had a couple of scratch birds that I called Phantom Cruiser, neither of which survive anymore and neither of which looked as good as this. I was brokenhearted when I lost my surviving Space Ghost coloring book in one of the moves. :(

mycrofte 08-19-2019 10:21 AM

There are a few things I would have done different had I known how it would turn out. Maybe some of the former engineers here can tell me about fin surface area. If I had put two smaller fins on top I could have placed the logo down further.

mycrofte 09-12-2019 02:16 PM

New project in the works. With Semroc (and others) out, I am having a hard time finding an egg shaped BT-50 nose cone.

Anyone out here know of another company?

tbzep 09-12-2019 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrofte
New project in the works. With Semroc (and others) out, I am having a hard time finding an egg shaped BT-50 nose cone.

Anyone out here know of another company?

Gordy (Sandman) can turn anything.

Also, you can take a BMS balsa cone and sand it down to various custom shapes. If you are talking about a larger diameter egg shape on a BT-50 shoulder, see my first suggestion.

Third option, get yourself a cheap Harbor Freight wood lathe (or used lathe) and tools and learn to turn. Start out with something cheap and easy like scrap 2x4 and then move on to more expensive balsa. :cool:

One last option. Glue a balsa coupler or bulkhead to a plastic egg. Fill the shape out as needed with Bondo spot putty.

mycrofte 09-12-2019 06:33 PM

A plastic Easter egg was my first thought. Our granddaughter says she doesn't have any at home.
__________________________________________________ _____________________________