Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Wanted: Dead or Alive! (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Needed: Estes SS-1C SCUD B Fin info (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=18156)

K'Tesh 11-04-2019 03:21 AM

Needed: Estes SS-1C SCUD B Fin info

Does anyone know the thickness of the fins of the Estes SCUD-B kit? Namely the Balsa Fin Sheet (Type BF-1340) part number 32344. The instructions already give the other wooden parts dimensions. So, I don't need that info.

I could also use scans of the fins and decals (with a ruler for scale).

Thanks!

ghrocketman 11-04-2019 08:57 AM

I'm 90% sure they are 3/32", but I don't have access to that model right now.
It is packed away in storage.

jeffyjeep 11-04-2019 05:49 PM

That’s a model that I scratch build once in a while. I have a set of die-crushed fins from a vintage kit and they are 1/8”. I also have the original fin shaping patterns if you need a scan of them.

jeffyjeep 11-04-2019 06:17 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I did this one last year. If you don't have an Estes D.A.R.T. kit to rob the cone from, Sirius sometimes has it available in their Moldin' Oldies.
Also, this is one of the scale models I ALWAYS finish in flat clear coat.

tbzep 11-05-2019 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
I did this one last year. If you don't have an Estes D.A.R.T. kit to rob the cone from, Sirius sometimes has it available in their Moldin' Oldies.
Also, this is one of the scale models I ALWAYS finish in flat clear coat.

And you build and finish it way prettier than the Soviets and subordinate nations did.

K'Tesh 11-05-2019 07:48 AM

Nice work there Jeffy!

I scored a D.A.R.T. not all that long ago, and bought two of the Moldin' Oldies nosecones for just such an occasion (The Mach-2 also uses that nosecone).

Thanks for the info... I suspected they were 1/8". 3/32" would be extremely thin with that beveled edge.

I'd love a copy of your fin template.

All The Best!
Jim

jeffyjeep 11-05-2019 08:09 AM

Thanks.

I'll scan them in and post them when I return from my doctor's appointment today.

jeffyjeep 11-05-2019 12:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
OK, I'm home from the doctor's office. The lobotomy went well.
Here's the scans:

K'Tesh 11-05-2019 04:36 PM

Thanks for those files!

I'm looking forward to simming this up, and building my own... Those white decals though... hmmm.

All The Best!
Jim

RZNS60 01-13-2023 02:43 PM

Nose Cone fo r SS-1C SCUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Tesh
Nice work there Jeffy!

I scored a D.A.R.T. not all that long ago, and bought two of the Moldin' Oldies nosecones for just such an occasion (The Mach-2 also uses that nosecone).

Thanks for the info... I suspected they were 1/8". 3/32" would be extremely thin with that beveled edge.

I'd love a copy of your fin template.

All The Best!
Jim

Replying to older thread, but looking to clone this one. Any other ideas on nosecone PNC-60B? I can not seem to locate one.