Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Mission Control (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Pushing the Energizer Bunny to his breaking point (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=19075)

A Fish Named Wallyum 12-06-2020 08:09 AM

Pushing the Energizer Bunny to his breaking point

https://wallyum.blogspot.com/2020/1...-beat-down.html

neil_w 12-06-2020 08:55 AM

Wow that is a lot of different rockets in the air in one session. Do you prep them all in advance?

hcmbanjo 12-06-2020 09:33 AM

Wow!
That is a LOT of pictures and copy to enter in a blog post. (Ask me how I know.)
Great launch report.
I'm surprised the Point did get airborne. I occasionally launch mine,
I still have some Q2G2 igniters that make it easier to connect up the clips.

tbzep 12-06-2020 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum

The Orion looks good no matter what size it is. One of Centuri's (and SEMROC's) better offerings. :cool:

snaquin 12-06-2020 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum

Great blog update and many good flight shots!
I agree, the Ricochet really appeals to me too. Reminds me of the Centuri Excalibur I had in the 70’s it has a retro look about it. Unpainted with the laser burns on the balsa looks great to me & love the recovery photo under chute ;)

snaquin 12-06-2020 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
The Orion looks good no matter what size it is. One of Centuri's (and SEMROC's) better offerings. :cool:

+1 on The Orion and Baby Orion I agree 100%. Not to derail Bills thread but I remember you cloned the Orion and painstakingly hand made all the little wooden fiddly bits but does anyone still make just the Saturn wraps for the Orion that can be purchased separately?

tbzep 12-06-2020 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
+1 on The Orion and Baby Orion I agree 100%. Not to derail Bills thread but I remember you cloned the Orion and painstakingly hand made all the little wooden fiddly bits but does anyone still make just the Saturn wraps for the Orion that can be purchased separately?

My son actually built that. It was the inspiration for Carl to put out his Orion kit. He had been wondering how he would deal with the wraps for a kit. When he saw where Kody used a plain corregated wrap and hand made the rest, he figured other folks could do the same.

I don't know if anyone still does vacuformed wraps or not. I got some for an Athena clone years ago, but I don't remember who I got them from.

BEC 12-06-2020 01:30 PM

A fun read, Bill. Thanks.

I'm surprised that you only got 18 launches (plus a few attempts) out of a set of Energizers....but now that I think of it I don't know if I've ever kept track of the number of launches I've gotten off a set of Gas in a Solar controller or an Electron Beam.

An incandescent continuity lamp draws over 150 mA. I'd bet you'd get a few more launches from a more recent EB that has an LED continuity indicator. For whatever that's worth....

caheaton 12-06-2020 09:45 PM

Wow! I don't think I've ever made so many launches in a day...and the weather looked great! I'd hoped to fly today but it was overcast all day so didn't head out (the cool weather didn't help....talked myself out of it by telling myself the cold is bad for my motors :D ). What part of town is your field located in? (If you care to share....).

Weather looks good this Thursday (warm, partly sunny and winds under 5)....I just might take the day off and go flying....maybe if I start early I can get a bunch in....but doubt I can hit 18!

(I 3D printed some 13 to 18 adapters and am eager to try the Mongoose with an A10 booster and maybe even a 1/2A sustainer to see if it can be made into a neighborhood park flyer).

A Fish Named Wallyum 12-07-2020 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_w
Wow that is a lot of different rockets in the air in one session. Do you prep them all in advance?

Yep, I don't learn many lessons, but I got that one loud and clear. :cool: